Neutered on Thursday, Milkie got his cone off during night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myfirstbunny

Reaction score
He seems happy but has totally ripped into one of his sacs. His stitches look fine but his sac is another story. What happens? Should I be concerned or know that the testicles are removed will the sacs just shrivel up and fall off. I have a call into the Vet and am waiting to hear back.

He is hiding under the couch now. This is my first bunny and I have never been through this before. The Vet gave us the cone to prevent him form pulling out the stitches but didn't saying anything about his scrotum. As I said I really don't know if this is normal. Can someone please advise if this is normal? As I said, he has torn into one of his scrotal sacs, it was very purple and looked bruised when he came home, now it looks like perhaps the flesh is dying. and maybe this is what is supposed to happen but I just don't know.

That's unusual... can you get a photo?
If the sac is torn, he needs to be restitched (which is what the vet will do).
Good for you for calling the vet.

Does he have pain medication?

hey, Kara. How's he doing ? still hiding ? That might be a sign of pain. Did he get pain med ? What does your vet say ? I'd suggest you to go see the vet , just in case, so he can take a look at his wound. Maybe you should put on the collar, I know you don't want to, during night time ? In case of preventing him chewing or licking on it.

By the way, I'm reading on RO library and I found this :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/orchidectomy.PDF

It might give you an idea how the wound should look like ?

:pray:

Hi, The sac is more than torn. It is dark purple and shriveled (bruised?) and flat, and ripped. The Vet just came to my house and had a look. He cleaned the wound and told me to bring him back in tomorrow so he can sedate him and trim off the battered piece. Also he will give him antibiotics, more pain medication, and fluids.
FYI milkie is I believe a palomino rabbit, weighs 8.9 lbs, will be 3 in March. He eats timothy grass, fresh veggies, and pellets.
If I can get a picture... how do I post it?

Thank you both for your concern

the sacs looks sort of puffy right after the neuter but then they start to shrivel up and look smaller and drier.
if he ripped into the sac the issue is possibility of infection but the actual tissue that he ripped into would have eventually dried up and disappeared anyway
Sounds like you have a good vet and I'm sure your bun will be fine.
part of what you are describing is what the sacs look like normally when they are drying up

Thank you for the information. As a new bunny owner, I may overreact but I just love him so much. I am really glad that I can post here and get some sound advice. I will post again with an update after he goes back to the Vet tomorrow.

Update: Milkie went back to the Vet today and had more surgery. The Dr. cleaned up the area and removed the remnants of his very purple and beat up scrotal sac. He also administered fluids as he was dehydrated. Milkie is back home and happy. They have given him a smaller cone for his head, more pain medication and antibiotics. He is as loving and cuddly as ever and I just feel so grateful that he is on the mend and that he has been so well taken care of by our Vet. Additionally, I thank the RO Community for their support.

What a great idea! He seems to not be too stressed by this smaller cone but I am going to have a look around and see if I can fashion him a soft collar.

Thanks for providing the link to the post.

I tried making a soft collar. I used a long sleeve tee I rolled up to make nice and fat. I put it on him -Seemed like it should have worked but it didn't. He reached right around and went straight for his wound.
Unfortunately his cone is back on.

I think the one in the pic was made with a roll of cotton wrapped in vet wrap and then taped.; it probably was stiffer than the one you made.I thoughtthe soft one was a good idea too
you could try again if he has trouble with the little hard one. :)

Latest posts

Back