neutered male is humping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfonsina

Reaction score
A mystery at my house: two male rabbits, brothers, neutered as youngsters now are nine years old. One is blind now and two years ago was treated for E.cuniculi. He recently is now frequently trying to mate with his brother. FREQUENTLY!
(This is bringing to mind stories of elderly people with Alzheimer's who suddenly may have a powerful sex drive.)
Anyone have experience with this seemingly odd rabbit behavior? Normally in the past I'd see this happening once or twice a year, but now as I said it is FREQUENT.
Thanks -- Alfonsina

Sounds like a domination situation; not sure what would have caused it. But maybe being blind is making him insecure & he's chowing he's still a strong rabbit.

Had that experience when my boys were young, but now that they are all separate, don't have this experience.

I think it might just be a dominance issue. I'd watch because it might turn nasty if the the other gets tired of the blind one's dominance.

K:)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Will assume it's just a dominance thing, but also mention to vet next time we see her.

My little boy is fixed and he will still hump on occasion, but it seems to just be a dominance thing. I do notice that the humping seems shorter than the pre-fixing humping and he is less tired after.

Back