Neutered Male Humping Spayed Female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
2 rabbits, just spayed and neutered a week or two ago..

They are already bonded by the people at the rescue and they enjoy each others company..

I have these 2 fosters here, they are siblings, and the male wont stop humping the female..They both 'hum' and run around each other and make cute noises when 'cuddling', but the male just keeps humping her.
The female is not completey healed up yet, and I am worried that they may start to fight...I was told they were bonded and should be housed together-but should I take the female out and give them a few days?

I am not familiar with neutered or spayed rabbits because none of my boys have been altered yet..

What do you think I should do for now?

If they are only 2 1/2 weeks post surgery, then the hormones haven't had a chance to completely go away. A month to six weeks out should make a big difference.

I would recommend separating them, but keeping them in side-by-side pens where they can see, smell, and cuddle up to each other without direct contact. I would try putting them back together in about 2 weeks and see how they do.

Okay, I will have to seperate them..

They arent fighting or anything so thats a good sign, and the female doesnt lift her tail at all for him...But she is very scared..

Also-the female should be kept in a smaller enviroment right? So she doesnt stress herself out at all?

pOker wrote:
Okay, I will have to seperate them..

They arent fighting or anything so thats a good sign, and the female doesnt lift her tail at all for him...But she is very scared..

Also-the female should be kept in a smaller enviroment right? So she doesnt stress herself out at all?
Not fighting is good. Just give them an opportunity to get the hormones out of their systems. It looks like you are on your way to a successful bonding....just get past the hormones. I would keep them separate when unsupervised, but you should have them out together for bonding activities as much as possible on a daily basis.

Yeah, theyall need to re-configure their "heirachy" post hormone.

As well as give those that had surgery time to get their "legs" back. Give "EVERYONE" time to heal ( as they will be looking at each other as if to say "whats different about you - can't put my finger on it but..")..

It should come back together shortly.

Latest posts

Back