Neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should definitely get your rabbit neutered. Tips are to make your bun as comfortable as possible and keep lots if veggies on hand. Your bunny will know what hurts.

That depends...

If you are getting a male and have no intention of getting him a bondmate in the future, then neutering may not be necessary. However, if, as he grows, his hormones have too much effect on him, you may decide then to go ahead and neuter. Some rabbits exhibit lots of undesirable hormonal behaviors including aggression, forgetting potty habits and spraying urine about. Those, clearly, would make one want to neuter. But other rabbits don't have any noticeable behavior changes.

If you are getting a female, I'd encourage spaying. The chance of an intact doe getting cancer by age 5 is considered quite high.

It really depends
If he's your only rabbit and not causing problems with his hormones (spraying, mounting, etc) I'd say there's no reason to put him through that risky procedure.

Yeah, I have a 2 year old male bun and I got him neutered. He was spraying and humping and it was all and all very annoying. He is very healthy and loves to run and play. I personally would advise you to do get him neutered. It's better for you and your rabbit.

Back