Neuter vs. Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby123

Reaction score
Recently I have been hearing a lot of stories about peoples rabbits that have been spayed and have had problems with the anestesia. Scooby is about 3 months old and I do plan to get him neutered as soon as he is ready.

When I purchased him I wanted a male and not a female because the foxing process was much less invasive. Is a neuter safer than a spay or not really?

I think a neuter is much more saver than a spay,as you dont have to cut inside them. And neutering is much cheaper! Soi would say it is saver. There is much more work to do in spaying.

Surgery is much less invasive in aneuter......as already stated, therefor much cheaper.....I would workwith your vet to determine the appropriate time to have it done,usually anywhere from 4-6 months on a male...soon as the "baggies"drop... ;)

Good luck, and if thats Scooby in your avatar, he's a DOLL!

honestly, unless you plan on adding a girl bunnyto your home, or if you are noticing aggresive behavior (headbutting,bitting, overly territorial, spraying) .. you really dont need to everhave Scooby neutered. Its not like cats whereif he gets outhe's going to get the whole neighborhood knocked up. So its really ofmore a personal call for getting boys fixed. hope that eases your minda bit!

I am going to have it done for sure. I haveheard and read it is much safer for them and for my sanity. I took himto the vet when I got him and had him checked over and everythinglooked good she said that he should come back at 4-5 months to checkand see if he is ready. I got the name of the vet from the House RabbitSociety web site, so I would assume she is reputable.

Scooby123 wrote:
I am going to have it done for sure. I have heard and readit is much safer for them and for my sanity. I took him to the vet whenI got him and had him checked over and everything looked good she saidthat he should come back at 4-5 months to check and see if he is ready.I got the name of the vet from the House Rabbit Society web site, so Iwould assume she is reputable.
With the "safer", I think you arerefering to female rabbits. In their case spaying greatly reduces theirchances of developing reproductive cancers...with males there isabsolutely no evidence that neutering is to their benefit, except inthe case of behavior and thats not always a sure win either. No reasonto fix what's not broke .. and he will still have his way withinanimate objects even after a nueter as most sex hormones are notproduced in their testes.

Its all relevant of your situation:)as Scooby matures, and hits his teenager phase (which ifyou chose to neuter is usually around the time he would go in), youwill definately know whether he needs it or not!

I have heard that I will know when he hits histeen period. Also, since Scooby is indoors I have heard andreadhis potty training will greatly improve once he isneutered.

Hi Scooy123, I agree with you when you say theirlitter habits get better once neutered. Our oldest greatlyimproved after his neuter. He uses the litter box all thetime.

Our other twowere pretty good from the start. Ittook us about a week to train them to use their litterbox.They were both fixed at around 6 months of age (one male& one female).

Good luck

Soooska

PS Your Bunny is really cute. Do you have more pictures?

o hey ... just wanted to let you know I wasntsaying for you not to neuter Scooby ..just dont want you to be worriedthat if you dont that he's not going to be a good or healthybunny.

Have you found a vet for Scooby yet? If not you should prepare aninterview sheet for your potential vet. Questions about diet ,excercise, then what their stand on neutering is how many theyve donehow many patients they have lost. ..etc....there is a thread on herethat has a list of questions .. im going to try and look foritfor you :)

A neuter is easier. It's not safer because theanestetic that is really the problem. Because the neuter is lessinvasive, it's faster and the risk of problems is less because therabbit is not under as long as it is for a spay.

That being said, if you have a good vet that knows rabbits, it'sunlikely to be a problem. My boys were both neutered at a young age andare happy and healthy 2 years later.

I am nervous about Kiara getting spayed though, but that wont get done until late spring or early summer.

Since I am at college in Orlando Florida when iwent home to Tampa(2 hours west) he had a little bit of lose poop so Itook him into our animals vet at home who is a family friend as welland was the head of the american veteranary society last year so heknows his stuff. Here in orlando where he will be neutered, I found avet from the house rabbit societys web site. I will make a consultationapt. before the neuter for sure.

I just got my dutch Frodo neutered, and it wasfine. (Although when my hubby went to pick him up he told the vet notto give him a pain shot cause it was extra -- he was soooo in troublewhen he got home). But I'm a bit nevous about spaying my mini lop,she's still too young but I would hate to loose her like that.

Latest posts

Back