Neuter/Spraying Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarfGirl

Reaction score
I have a 6 week old baby netherland dwarf/mini rex mix. I would really like to have him neutered but I really don't know if I will be able to afford it or not. I asked someone at a privately owned pet/feed store and she said that if I do not have him neutered he WILL spray all over. I was just wondering what all your opinions are on this. I know its best to neuter if possible and I plan to if I can manage it. But if not I'm wondering what to expect, will he definately be spraying or is there a chance he won't? Also, at what age should he be neutered? Thanks :)

Yes, you should have him neutered. He may or may not spray. I've had two males and before neutering them, I never noticed spraying. Neutering is also good as it keeps them from getting testicular cancer. Neutering will also help with litter training:D. You can have him neutered anywhere from around 3 months on.

It's nothing you have to do right away, just try and save up for it. The cost varies from location to location. You can call a few rabbit-savvy vets in your area and get a price. You should also have a pre-op blood panel done before the surgery to make sure he's healthy and there won't be any complications. Males usually do really well during and after surgery and heal very quickly;).

Let us know if you need any help finding a vet in your area. We have a list in our Bunny 101 section. Here's the link to our WA vet listings, not sure where in Washington you are;).

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11637&forum_id=9

I found one that does it for $75! I hope they quoted me the correct price, thats half as much as everyone else in my area!

Oh, but I have him in a cage with his sister and cant he get her pregnant before hes 3 months old? At what age should they be seperated?

That amount sounds right ;)

I had Butter neutered a couple months ago at $75 by Jones Animal Hospital. (In Washington also)

~Diana and Butter

(Edited to add...
I don't know about separation, but just to be safe, I'd separate them as soon as possible)

Oh, Hi Diana! I live in Silverdale (by Bremerton) and I just called three places, the one is $75, the other two quoted $145.16 and $125.30 + $40.50 for an exam!

Knowing you only paid $75makes me feel more optimistic :)

Yikes! :shock: Don't go with the more expensive ones. They're ripping you off big time.

I'd say you could go to my vet, but.....:p It's preeeeetty far away from Silverdale. (I think it's in Tacoma, but I'm a little fuzzy on what's Tacoma and what's University Place)

~Diana

Oh dear, please separate them now. Keep them separated until he's neutered and has been neutered for almost 2 months. I didn't realize you had a female as well.

You can house them side by side in separate cages.

Angel--

I just checked the calendar again, and I dont know how I was so off, but they are only 4 weeks old today. I can't believe they were given to me at only 3 weeks old. They are brother and sister so yeah, I definately do not want them to mate. ButI checked around on this forum and they arent even ready to mate until at least 2-3 months.... so I shouldnt have anything to worry about yet? I do have another cage so I can seperate them as soon as needed, I just dont want to do it sooner than necessary because they really enjoying cuddling with each other. More feedback on that would be welcome :)

Diana--

Yeah that whole Tacoma/University Place thing is sooo confusing for me too. I think the price I was quoted is probably correct but if somehow its wrong then yeah, I would rather drive for an hour than pay twice as much or more.

Well, from what I have heard from Tinysmom-a breeder, a male can impregnate a female at 8 weeks. So maybe a couple more? I am not positive on that though. I'll have Tinysmom drop a line for you.

I have had 9 week old bucks get their mom pregnant. The key thing is the doe's age...it doesn't sound like she is ready to breed.

My thoughts on this - if they're really only 4 weeks old (can you upload photos for us to look at?)...I'd keep them together till about 6 weeks or 7 weeks at the most. Then I'd separate them. Being together will help them be less stressed if they're really that young.

But I would definitely separate them before 7 weeks of age or at that age. I've heard of does getting pregnant that young - and while I tend to doubt it can really happen - my belief is always "better safe than sorry".

Peg

Thanks, I don't have any pictures but if I find my camera I'll get some. I'm certain of their age, 4 weeks,because the owner of the mother emailed me the very day after they were born. I just got mixed up somehow when I counted out the weeks on the calendar.

The issue here is that the doe is the same age as the buck....and while a buck can get a doe pregnant while the buck is a young age...the doe usually has to be older to get pregnant. So while an 8 week old buck can get a mature doe pregnant - I'm not so sure an 8 week old doe can get pregnant...even from the same 8 week old buck mentioned above.

See the difference? The maturity of the doe..

Peg

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Well, from what I have heard from Tinysmom-a breeder, a male can impregnate a female at 8 weeks. So maybe a couple more? I am not positive on that though. I'll have Tinysmom drop a line for you.

TinysMom wrote:
The issue here is that the doe is the same age as the buck....and while a buck can get a doe pregnant while the buck is a young age...the doe usually has to be older to get pregnant. So while an 8 week old buck can get a mature doe pregnant - I'm not so sure an 8 week old doe can get pregnant...even from the same 8 week old buck mentioned above.

See the difference? The maturity of the doe..

Peg

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Makes perfect sense to me;).

Latest posts

Back