Neuter/Spay Confusion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
I'm new to this...and a little confusednow. All the books that I've read said that for the bunniesto be litter trained, they have to be spayed or neutered.However, while looking for bunnies I've been told that it is notnecessary. So what is it?

Thanks!

They dont have to be spayed/nuetered, but itreally helps for litter training. Also, its good for females to bespayed because it lowers their chances for cancer. And if you ever wantto bond your bunny with another, having it spayed/neutered will helpwith that as well.

Gussy, who the heck told you that? Rabbits areone of the easiest animals to litter train(Easier than cats!!)!! Cocoalearned right off the bat at 5 weeks old!! You don't need to tamperwhith your rabbit's body to make them "litter trained." Both my bunsare not nuetured and they do great!!

Rabbits generally don't have to be spayed orneutered to be litter trained, although it does help in most cases.Rabbits can bevery territorial, so it can be hard to littertrain them when they always have the urgeto mark theirterritory. One of my girls is very good with her litter boxand she isn't spayed, but the other one is getting a bit better.

I read the info about spaying/neutering on some pet magazines. Should I or should I not?

They are going to be in the cage when no one is in the house, but we'llprobably let them run around inside the house when we arehome. I'm just worried that they'll start doing it everywhere.

Will it be a problem if one is spayed/neutered and the other is not?

Thanks!

It would be great if you could both spay andneuter them. I am assuming you have a male and a female. If you have tochose though, I suggest getting the female spayed to reduce the risk ofcancer.

- Amy

When ever I let my rabbits loose they allwayswill poop here or there. Bun-Bun's real good though - he'll do it in acorner!! lol But even though it's a dirty job - some one's gotta doit!! Keep the cage door open so they can run to the litter box. Butwhith me, I don't like them playing in my room alot becuase they needmore room for exercise so I close the bed room doors. Put a litter boxout there so when the need to poop or pee they'll take make poop stop.Unfortuantly for me, I own dogs, and they like the taste of rabbitpoop, so I just gotta clean it up when it happen. They rarelly pee soat least you won't have to worry about that. But I reccomend eitherkeeping a litter box out there for them or keep their cage door open.

I don't have the bunnies yet as I'm stillgetting all the needed stuff ready. At first I thought aboutadopting as the bunnies are already fixed, but I can't find any Dwarfor Hollland Lop ready for adoption. So, I'll probably end upbuying from a breeder and paying the $300 to get it fixed. Iam so surprised that the cost for the spay/neuter is that high.

Gussy wrote:
Iread the info about spaying/neutering on some pet magazines.Should I or should I not?

Will it be a problem if one is spayed/neutered and the other is not?

What are the sexes of your bunnies and how old are they?

If they are of age, I recommend spaying and neutering. All 4 of mineare altered and they are sooo much better in every way in since thesurgery.

EDIT: Sorry, we posted at the same time. I really recommend justadopting if you want a bonded pair. Have you tried petfinder.com? Ifyou buy from a breeder and get babies, you will have to keep themseparate until they are of age to be spayed/neutered. Its moreunpredictable because you just have to hope they bond after the surgery.

Why not just adopt the bunnies then? You don't want any other breed besides Hollands or Dwarfs?

- Amy

I've checked out the pictures from the adoptionpages and found one, but the wife and the kids don't think he's goodlooking enough as he's a Mini Rex.

:foreheadsmack:

They like the dwarf and lop. I could get a Flemish...but my daughter would get scared.

A word of advice - try choosing on personality rather than looks alone. You'll be happier, and so will your bunnies.

PS.: I'd go for the pair, if that's what you really want - pairs arevery hard to adopt out, and usually wait a long. long time inshelters... But all shelter bunnies need homes and love! (Not that I'mbiased or anything... My bun came from a rabbit rescue ;))

Edit: It's easy to get a spayed/neutered rabbit at a good shelter -most won't adopt until after that's been done. The adoption fee helpscover the costs for them.

I agree :). I'd find a bunny with a personalitythat suits with your family. Those little guys are cute, but some ofthem can be very feisty!

I would take your kids with you to the shelter.I think personality varies so much from bunny to bunny. I bet once theyfelt a minirex's fur they would fall in love ;)

Good Luck and keep us posted!

I agree....go to the shelter, check petfinder.org first to see if there are any buns in your area just waiting in shelters.

Definitely get a bonded pair if possible. I can't imagine only havingone bunny after seeing Mallory and Morgan playing together, groomingeach other, and sleeping together.

I also agree to take your family with you. You must go with a bunny'spersonality, more so than it's looks. You could have the prettiestbunny in the world, but his personality/disposition could be horrible.Then you could have the "ugliest" bunny in the world, but hispersonality/disposition could be amazing!:D

- Amy

Yeah all that have been said...

My male rabbit is neutered and has had the most dramatic change intemperment (in a good way) and I could never litter train him before hewas neutered and a week after his neutering he litter trains himself.Mine didnt do it but alot of them will spray their pee to markterritory.

If females are not spayed they will have an 80% chance of gettingovarian cancer by the age of 5 and it is very painfull for them.

Ive noticed that with both breeds they get nicer and happier if they are altered.:bunnydance:

Ohh.. and just so you know-- smaller rabbits TEND (not always) to be nippier and not as cuddly as large breeds.

People think they want a small 2 pound bunny with kids but sometimesthey are much nippier than larger breeds, especially if they are notaltered.

Good luck and it sounds ad if these guys are going to get a great home!!:colors:

Silvie&Phinn

I wish i had a dollar for every time i readsomething in a book about rabbits that was incorrect.several books hadthe breeds wrong,some were written by people who have only owned one ortwo rabbits.some translated into english from germanincorrectly.bluebird

I would definately suggest that you spay/neuter. I got both of my bunnies from shelters, alreadyspayed/neutered. Believe me, if you take your kids into theshelter, they will find at least one they love. As avolunteer, I realize that it's really really hard to not want to takethem home.

Latest posts

Back