Neuter preparation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
Hi, I will be neutering my Netherland Dwarf, Silver, who is almost 6 months old soon. He is a male and I was just wondering how I should prepare/set up his cage for when he comes back home, anything I should tell or ask the vet, and just all the basics and and things I should do to prepare and what to expect when he comes home. His current setup is in a large cage in my bedroom. He does have a platform to jump up on which I put his food and veggie bowl on. He also likes to lay down up there or just sit up there and lick himself. Should I remove this? He also has a card board box to jump on. He has a litter box with a grate over it. I use Sunseed Fresh World bedding and he gets Kaytee pellets and Timothy hay with veggies. So just wondering what I should do or expect after neutering. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1390658241.286751.jpg

His water would usually be right there next to his hay, but I am refilling it at the moment

The following link (scroll down toward bottom) has info about preparing for neutering and what to expect after:
http://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/

Maybe others can chime in on more specifics. I've gotten all my rabbits from rescues and already fixed so I don't have personal experience with this. How soon is he scheduled?

You mentioned that you feed Kaytee, but they have a number of different varieties. Which one do you use? Hopefully it is not the one with colorful bits in it. If it is, don't change it suddenly. That's why I wondered how soon surgery is scheduled. Probably best not to change things around that time.

When I had my boy bunnies neutered the vet told me to keep them in their cage and not let them run around for a few days. I don't remember exactly how many days, but ask your vet what they recommend. Also, pain medication was optional, but my husband insisted. I guess he could relate since he's been fixed too! HA! I'm glad I got the pain medication though (Metacam) because they loved the taste of it and I think they recovered very well. I took out the boxes from their cages so they weren't jumping up. To be on the safe side, I would remove the shelf in your bunny's cage and the box. Why do you have bedding in the cage if he is litter trained? I don't think you need it. Once my boys were litter trained, I stopped putting bedding all over the cage and they were fine with it.

I hope your vet told you to keep feeding him up until the surgery. Since rabbits can't vomit, they don't need to stop eating and drinking before anesthesia. Also, take some of his food to leave with the vet. The sooner he starts eating the better, but he may not have a great appetite at first.

Best of luck to Silver!

The vet we go to doesn't need you to make an appointment for anything so I can bring him in whenever their open. He will be getting a check up first to make sure everything is good. I feed him Kaytee Juvenile Rabbit Healthy Support Diet which is just pellets with an orange colored piece here and there.

Latest posts

Back