Neuter gone wrong

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
called the vet and the vet said that the reason they are probably not drinking or accepting fluids is they aren't eating much pellets, mainly fresh rocket that we've wet down.

both seem to be urinating OK

and both seem happy and pooing fine...

fresh rocket? whats that?...a veggie?.
if their peeing then their getting some kinda fluids in them.
how do u give them water normaly? crock or bottle?

normally bottle, but i have a bottle AND a crock with them incase they decide to drink from either.

rocket is a dark green leafy veg
45.jpg

it's their favourite - they eat it up so quick

when i had Bo neutered he wouldn't touch his pellets for almsot 3 days, just hay, greens and veggies. it took bo almost a week to be back to normal, they should be fine, they are eating and poo and peeing they have to have something going in in order fo rit to come out. watch their intake, the veggies will give them hydration, my guys don't even drink that much when they get fresh veggies. take a deep breath and relax your tension and nervousness will be picked up on and they'll get nervous.

looks kinda like dandelion leaves...hm.well thats where their getting their fluids...if their used to this in their diet then id feed them more of this ..if thats all they wanna eat then atleast their eating and their getting fluids/...just keep an eye on their poop...altho its gonna look a little strange the next couple days anyways,..so dont panic unless its runny.then u can panic;)...
do u have any other veggies there for them?.how bout hay?.u didnt mention anything about their hay intake..

Flash Gordon wrote:
looks kinda like dandelion leaves...hm.well thats where their getting their fluids...if their used to this in their diet then id feed them more of this ..if thats all they wanna eat then atleast their eating and their getting fluids/...just keep an eye on their poop...altho its gonna look a little strange the next couple days anyways,..so dont panic unless its runny.then u can panic;)...
do u have any other veggies there for them?.how bout hay?.u didnt mention anything about their hay intake..
they are eating a heap of timothy hay but not many pellets so i'm not too worried about having runny poos...

max did some cecotropes last night and then just ignored them, i tried to make him eat them but he just pretended they werent there. sure enough i come back in the morning and they've been eaten... he is too embarassed to eat them infront of me, how cute is that!

GREAT NEWS GUYS.

so this morning llew (my boyf) refilled max's water bottle and a few minutes later when we went to check on him A HUGE CHUNK OF WATER HAD BEEN DRANK. i was worried we'd just not filled it up to the top but after a few minutes of watching him HE DRANK FROM THE BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME.

i was so happy.

i did notice there were some runny poops but i think they could have been from the pedilite and antibiotics.

me and llew made a deal with max - as soon as he started drinking again we would put him from his tiny 1x1x1 NIC recovery cage back into his HUGE bunny mansion. (he tried to jump out of the recovery cage every time we left it open, he was getting stir crazy in there, lol)

so i popped him back in his cage and first thing he did was express some cecotropes (i'm guessing he wont eat them till we've left the room, lol) and then hopped in his litter box and did some wonderful hard round NORMAL poos :)

thankyou so much for your help and support, i couldn't have got through this time without you guys.

:biggrin::biggrin2:

it's been about 5 days and both of the boys are doing really well :)

neither of their appetites are completely back to normal but i'm not too concerned cause they are whizzing around like mad things.

i was wondering though, has anyone else had/or heard of using just a local anisthetic for a desexing? i couldn't find much about it on the net.

Glad to hear that your boys are doing better. Now you can breathe and relax.

Whenever my bunnies get sick, I have a terrible time relaxing. When they get better, it is such a relief, it is like a heavy load was lifted off the shoulders.

i had to reread that...ur vet didnt knock em out?..ur kidding me right?..local ??? for a neuter...good god..i hope they dont do this for females.....ur poor little babies were awake during this!!!!!!!??????? ..i have NEVER heard of this ..this doesnt sound right...im so glad they are doing well tho..ill research and ask around too for ya...wow thats weird...could u imagine how flipped out they were...i dont understand how they held them still for this..if it was just a local ...has this vet done rabbits before?..oh my friend im so glad they are home and doin ok...

hmm they seemed quite good with rabbits, she said some of the vets just like to use a local cause its less dangerous for the rabbits that way...

hmmm i will do more research

Wow both of my boys were put out.
Pickles was still sleeping when I picked him up and his appetite and everything was there the same night as his neuter, actually the minute I got him home he hobbled right over to his food/water bowl and when I got home the next morning from work there was poop everywhere and his food bowl was empty.
It's been 3 days and you would never have known anything happened to him, he is 100% back to himself.

Latest posts

Back