Neuter gone wrong

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
both my boys were neutered today by the loveliest vet who seemed quite rabbit savvy.

she did them both under local anisthetic rather than iso.

she said though, as she cut open max's scrotum, his testicle snapped off and descended into his abdomen, so she had to fish around for it and it caused a decent ammount of bleeding.

she said the wound is still oozing a bit of blood and looks quite swollen... she gave us antibiotics and told us to keep and eye on the wound.

max is eating hay and rocket, has been digging in his cage quite a bit but seems otherwise healthy, maybe a bit lethargic from pain meds.

has anyone else had any similar experiences? words of advice would be fantastic, i'm a stressed bunny mum right now

(p.s i have critical care, pureed pumpkin, probiotics and infacol on hand in my bun first aid kit)

I know nothing about this, but, hopefully someone who does will be on soon to help you out. I'm so sorry that one was difficult, an ice pack w/ a towel will help for now.

Hugs and kisses to the strong bunner, Max. Use all u have onhand.;)

thanks for your concern :) it means a lot

he seems to be doing ok, its now 11pm and since 6.30ish he has only groomed his sore twice, which is quite good cause i thought he'd be on it all night.

the only problem is i'm worried about how wolfgang is going, he's really not eating much and neither of them have pooed... tried force feeding Wolfie critical care but most of it he spat out, he did injest some though...

eeep how much should they be eating after a neuter?

someone please help they are barely eating or drinking and max just started twitching a bit then stopped?

im so scared please help

Ring the vet.
The vet will have a drug to get them eating again, im not sure about the twitching.

they are eating a little but not a lot so i dont think they have full on stasis yet. the twitching stopped i think perhaps he was just sleeping and dreaming?

i don't think its too unusual for their appitite to be low so soon after surgery. just keep offering the water and hay to keep gut going. they should start perking up very soon, but if in doubt about ANYTHING call your vet!! good luck and wishing your boys a speedy recovery!!

Definitely keep them both confined to small areas for a while to allow for healing. Icing the area can help too. They should be on take-home pain meds, you didn't mention if they are or not? As for the eating, try some gas meds and force-feeding water or canned pumpkin. Our Benjamin had to have gas meds to get him eating again post-neuter. He had gas from not eating and being under anesthetic, which was painful and made him not eat or poo.

how much infacol should i give? one is about 1kg, the other is 1.3
tonyshuman wrote:
Definitely keep them both confined to small areas for a while to allow for healing. Icing the area can help too. They should be on take-home pain meds, you didn't mention if they are or not? As for the eating, try some gas meds and force-feeding water or canned pumpkin. Our Benjamin had to have gas meds to get him eating again post-neuter. He had gas from not eating and being under anesthetic, which was painful and made him not eat or poo.
the vet gave them a shot of pethadine (ironically when i was born they gave my mum pethadine misguided me and it caused me to become DOA when i was born, luckily they managed to bring me back!) and said she can give them some more if they need it, but neither seem to be in much pain? just quite lethargic...

how much infacol should i give? one is about 1kg, the other is 1.3

max seems to be eating fine but not drinking... he's been getting WAY more fresh veggies than usual cause he's not really touching his pellets... he hasnt urinated yet. i've been syringe feeding him water occasionally which he drinks... the vet said perhaps he's not urinating cause he lost blood and he's retaining the water? im thinking maybe the swollen bleeding ball sack could have led to a UTI?

would human UTI medication be ok to give him in small doses, like ural or citravescant?

The vet told me that as long as he's nibbling anything he should be okay - Peaches wouldn't eat anything - he had all his favorites with him and wouldn't touch anything. He nibbled here and there and the next day he was back to normal.

Hope they're feeling better

neither of them have drank ANYTHING other than us syringe feeding them water...

its starting to become a worry, max just did a wee but it was really small ammount and looked quite white...

didnt u say they were eating on their own?im confused about why ur force feeding them the same day they had their surgery??..just make sure they are eating some veggies for their fluid intake...also keep everything within reach of them...i know ur stressing but most buns dont eat till the next day anyways...please keep us updated.

Lisa is right, many bunnies don't eat the day after. Remember hydration before nutrition. Make sure they are getting enough water, even if you have to syringe that. I would rather see you syringing water than food.

they are NOT drinking - at all.

i've force fed them some water with hydralite in it and some normal water - they were ok with that yesterday but today neither of them will accept it...

i'm so worrieed

I think it is time to go back to the vet. If a bunny will not take any liquid that's tasty, they need vet help for hydration.

Latest posts

Back