Netherlands Cough

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nethersnow

Reaction score
3 days ago I noticed one of my young show does was sat making weird low grunt noises. I got her out noticed she was breathing heavy for her. When I put he back she then did a loud cough as if she was wretching. I got her emmediatly put her in in an isolation box as I was first worried about snuffles. I disenfected my whole rabbitry Inc all cages. However I haven't noted her breathing funny or coughing since only that just her breathing may be slightly elevated. Eating, drinking fine. Unrine and poop fine. She will now remain in isolation for 6 weeks.

The weird thing is she is now 4 months old her mother died 1 month after she was weaned. She was doing these same noises (but no coughing) I thought maybe she was just asleep. The noises do sound like it's coming from the lungs and are not constant. Could this young doe have what her mother had? Could it be hereditary, or something past on through birth? During inspecrion of the dead doe there was no obvious signs of illness. Her nose and eyes were clear. She was a healthy weight. Good coat. Literally no sign of what could of caused this except for that noise she made now and then. It's just odd now that month down the line her kits is acting the same. The kits now in isolation. No sign of anything with any of the other buns.

I'd take her to a vet, especially if her mother died after making the same noises.

If this was a one off occurrence, it sounds like she may have initially been choking on a pellet, and it was then cleared from her throat. Just keep an eye on her for the next week, for any signs of respiratory difficulties developing, which could occur if any contents were aspirated.

If your rabbit is continuing to make odd noises daily, there are a variety of things that could be the cause, from respiratory issues, dental issues, congenital abnormalities of the airway, digestive problems, etc. The same could have been the case with the mom. If the does baby continues to have problems, it's possible that it could be related with the mom's illness, or the young does recent episode could be totally unrelated to what was wrong with the mother rabbit.

Thanks in have been keeping an eye on her and so far no more coughing has been seen. She will remains in isolation forms weeks

Back