nesting question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before and I appologize if it has, but Miffy has been scratching at her cage franticly the past few days and has been very jumpy. I've been thinking it was other things but today I actually sat down and watched her without bothering her for a while and I noticed she's gathering her bedding up in her mouth and sticking her nose to the ground going through it and scratching like crazy. Then she's taking it all over to the corner and packing it sort of like and well when I clean out her cage which is usually every other day she is gettingantsy lol. She'll franticly start gathering again and I am wondering since she's not fixed and around 5 - 6 months old could this be her gathering and building a nest? I know she's not preggie, she's never been around any other bunnies before but do they still go through it at this age?

What do you recommend I do ?

Yup, she's building a nest. Best to just let her get it all done and wait for her tolose interest in it before you (quietly) dismantle it. It shouldn't be more than a couple or three days.

They really do get antsy!

sas

Thank you lol. I was so worried. It's amazing how antsy she is, she'll fix it up and then lie down for about two minutes hop up and start back on it again - most of the night she has been doing this. And my guess is that this is what started the whole litter box moving too. She just moved it again, it happened all around the same time she started scratching and getting antsy. It's good to know it will soon pass and hopefully by this time next month I'll have her spayed. Does it happen when they are spayed to?

Thanks.

Pipp wrote:
Yup, she's building a nest. Best to just let her get it all done and wait for her tolose interest in it before you (quietly) dismantle it. It shouldn't be more than a couple or three days.

They really do get antsy!

sas
****spews coffee AGAIN!!!****
Stop it now!!!

Just when I think Chippy has lost interest, I'll (quietly LOL) take it apart and clean her nesting box. Within an hour or so she's built another one. If it makes Chippy happy and she's not having any adverse issues from it, I'll just let her continue.

The only 3 things I've been told to watch for are:

#1) Stress
#2) Swollen mammaries
#3) She may stop eating like a preggo doe will just before they give birth.

Latest posts

Back