nest making

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my Bun made her nest about a week ago, she isn't due for another week, but ever since she made her nest she covers up the entrance to her covered nest box. I sometimes clear away the entrance on both sides of the entrance, because i just want to make sure its clean hay around the entrance. As soon as I have finished clearing away, she pokes her head in the entrance, moves stuff around, and then moves hay back in front of the entrance, almost like she is hiding it, if I try and do it again, she will push my hand away and keep moving stuff in front.

I am just wondering if anybody's doe did this with their nest. My Bun made her nest really early, and I have never experienced a doe that made her nest that early, and then covered up the entrance to her box.

I am just wondering if this her following her instinct to hide the nest, or maybe some females make their nest early, hide it and then uncover it to have their Kits.

It's a natural instinct some rabbits still have. Mine dig several nest tunnels around the garden during pregnancy, cover the entrance and open one up when the time comes. Sometimes my leg disappeared into the ground where I didn't expect a tunnel...
Fury closed the entrance of the nestbox with hay for about a week after kindling.

Back