Nest Box for Flemish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
I want to try breeding my flemish next week,haven't tried to breed her for a few months now to give her time togrow.As she is huge, i think she is done growing.My hubby made her anext box in the summer but it is very big, not sure of the measurementsbut it takes up over half her cage. her cage is 4' x 3' . What is theright measurements for a box for a flemish doe? My others does justused alarge shoe box as the wood nest box wouldn't fit intheir cages.

I am not exactly sure the exact measurements butyou want her to be able to fit completely in the box with about 6inches to spare, be able to turn around, and be able to hopout. Hope this helps.

Sharon

I believe a nest box should be big enough forher to get in and build her nest and feed her babies, but not bigenough that she'll want to spend all her time there.

I made my nest box by basically measuring Wildfire and then adding about 2 inches on the length and height.

--Dawn

a few years ago, when i had a flemmish litter,we took a cat litterbox, the ones that have the tray and then the topthing that clips on. . . it is plastic, so if you have a rabbit thatlikes to chew, it might not be the best. but it worked out greatbecause it is easy to get into (just unclip the top and take it off)and at 4 weeks when the babies really aren't in the box at all you canremove the top for good. it was easy to clean and perfect size for ourdoe.

I measured my does and added two inches to thatlength. Same with the width. You will also need a much bigger cage forher after she has the litter, a single cage will get verycrowded when the babies are running around. My brood cage is six feetlong, and it can still get crowded by weaning time.

How old is your doe, BTW? A Flemish needs to be at least 9 months old before being bred.

Mamapeach will be a year at the end of Feb, wemeasured her and hubby needs to remove 6' of the sides and 10 inches ofthe length. the hieght is ok as it is half open on the top. Thankseveryone for your input.

well i breed Mamapeach yesterday. I left her infor 15 mins and she was very receptive to Bucky. Bucky flipped off her6 times so hopefully i'll have baby flemishes around feb 12.

Latest posts

Back