nervousness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisi1987

Reaction score
does anyone else here get really nervous easily about things?

I'm starting a new job tomorrow as a waitress at a mexican restaurant.i dont know much spanish and the entire menu is in spanish, ive neverbeen a waitress before and im so nervous im going to mess up everyonesorders or spill food all over. I was just wondering if anyone else getsnervous because of something like that.

how do you deal with being nervous? what calms you down?

Ohh i know how it feels to be nervous,i'm a terrible worrier and i worry about everything.

I remember when i went for my first job as a waitress,i was just 16(33now)and i remember i was so nervous but i was doing ok until about the4th day,some people had come in and placed an order for what theywanted,and when it was ready i was walking to their table with theirorder and as i got to them,i went to give the guy his order and lo andbehold the other plate slid of the tray and landed all over the ladylol,you should have seen the look of astonishment on her face,omg ifelt so embarrased,i was like:shock:but my mouth was open abit more,i said sorry many times,but with this evil look in her eyesshe said accidents happen,the boss just told me to be more careful nexttime,whew i was lucky,a lot of other things happened while i wasworking there lol,i seemed to have been a bit clumsy lol

I don't remember seeing that couple againwhile i was working there,hmmm i wonder why lol:ponder:

what calmed me down?...when i was on my way home

Anyway goodluck with the new job,i'm sure once you get there and get started you will be fine:)

cheryl

I get nervous very easily as well. I mean, myvoice gets shaky when I go talk to a councellor about changing mytimetable at school! I really hate it, but there is nothing that hashelped me yet.

I have a thing about talking to strangers on thephone. I sit there with the phone in my hand planning what i'm going tosay before i dial. I remember once i ahd to ring up a mobile phonecompany about getting an upgrade. I sat there for ages planning how tosay "Hello, i received a message about getting an upgrade, i waswondering if you could tell me more?" Then i chickened out and i stilahve a useless phone from 4 years ago that doesn't really work properly!

I used to be so nervous and shy. I'm gettingbetter by constantly putting myself in situations that make meuncomfortable (travelling, public speaking, etc.). It just takespractice I think ;).

pinksalamander wrote:
I have a thing about talking to strangers on the phone. Isit there with the phone in my hand planning what i'm going to saybefore i dial. I remember once i ahd to ring up a mobile phone companyabout getting an upgrade. I sat there for ages planning how to say"Hello, i received a message about getting an upgrade, i was wonderingif you could tell me more?" Then i chickened out and i stil ahve auseless phone from 4 years ago that doesn't really workproperly!
I used to be so afraid of talking to anyone other than my bestfriendon the phone. Then I got a job in tech support :).

jordiwes wrote:
I used to be so afraid of talking to anyone other than my bestfriendon the phone. Then I got a job in tech support :).

Tech support, I thought you had to have a really heavy accent and notknow English very well to work in tech support, at least, that's whatit seems like now. I will hold off calling for help becauseover this weird buzzing thing our phone does, and the accents I alwaysseem to encounter, I can never seem to communicate very well, then Ifeel really stupid. I've taken to e-mailing or this chatsupport thing dell has. One day I was doing the chat support,and the guy I was talking to, "Pawan," was using the weirdest sort ofEnglish, very grammatically correct, but some of the things he saidwere so akward, like, they just didn't flow. I conisderedbreaking into chatspeak, just to see his reaction.

How did your first day go?

I'm socially phobic... I'm afraid of everything to do with socialsituations. The only thing thats made it better is having mykids, I HAVE to do stuff for them... but I still neglect a lot of stuffI shouldn't because I avoid things that make meuncomfortable. Like they really need to go see the dentistbut I just keep putting off making the call because I'm embarrased wemissed our last appointment.

I did finally make myself a doctors appointment today that I've been putting off for two years!!

I've never worked... I just can't make myself go out into the world like that. I have serious issues :)

jordiwes wrote:
I used to be so afraid of talking to anyone other than mybest friendon the phone.
That's why it's rare if I get one phone call a month. I hate talking onthe phone and because of that, I never call my friends. We either emailor 'talk' on messanger. Other than that, we only talk when we bump intoeach other. I have to really work up to make a phone call, I literallywrite down everything I need to say otherwise I get so nervous I forgetto say things.

I'm also very shy but I found that in situations where I had no choice(like working at Safeway) I was a lot better and I was neither nervousnor shy although I did dread going to work every day which is a bigproblem.

But I've decided not to let it control me anymore, I'm starting inEngineering at a large University in a week and some of my classes are350 people (eek!). Not to mention if that isn't bad enough, it's stilla field that's largely dominated by men and if anything makes me morenervous than a group of girls, it's a group of guys, not sure why, Ireally could care less what others think of me. Luckily for me, someonethat I know is also taking the same timetable so it makes things alittle less stressful.

Aww dont worry about it! :D About 3months ago I went for a job as a waitress, and i spilt a bowl ofvegetables all over a mans lap! But he was ok about it, justa bit shocked! hehe. They phoned me up a day later and said Iwas unsuccessfull at getting the job.

I believe everything happens for a reason, andIdidnt really likeit there anyway. So if I hadnt ofdropped that food on that mans lap, I probually would of been acceptedand hating it there! Just go with your heart! Imsure the other girls working there didnt understand the menu at onepoint.

Everybody gets nervous at some point, your not alone. Ialways go to my pets if I am scared/nervous/worried aboutanything. They really comfort me!

My first day wentpretty good. i was the only person working there that didnt speakspanish. im still nervous for tomorrow though. i was in training todayso i followed a waitress around half the time, but soon i have to doeverything myself, the only thing im worried about is writing downpeoples orders, im not too good at listening to spanish and thencopying it down on paper.

I was actually relieved when i came to this thread and saw that otherpeople worried and got nervous the same way i do. I always worry aboutthings, i wish there wasnt a reason for people to worry or be nervous.

SugarGlider wrote:
I'm socially phobic... I'm afraid of everything to do with socialsituations. The only thing thats made it better is having mykids, I HAVE to do stuff for them... but I still neglect a lot of stuffI shouldn't because I avoid things that make meuncomfortable. Like they really need to go see the dentistbut I just keep putting off making the call because I'm embarrased wemissed our last appointment.
I have a mild social phobia too, sugarglider...while I do work and doenter into social situations, there are times when I will avoid things,such as the annual picnic at work...hate it, hate it, hate it whenthere's a huge crowd of people. Hate having to be forced to mingle. Andif I ever had to stand in front of people and talk, I'd probably besick. There were times when I signed up for one-day courses at work,and that in itself causes me initial severe anxiety...knowing I'd bewalking into a room full of people I didn't know, and probably havingto introduce myself (that's a huge fear of mine). I have managed to doit, but shake like a leaf inside beforehand, and go through a mildpanic attack, wanting to run out the door. I figure a lot of my anxietystems from being a shy person by nature, and growing up in a householdwhere I was put down a lot, told I'd never be able to do anything, andwas not allowed to participate in many things (girl guides or summercamp? never). We were never allowed to have friends in the house whenwe were young, which further encouraged isolation and fears. A hugepart of my (ongoing) recovery was when I got divorced...I was forced tohave to do become completely independent, and was responsible for myson's welfare And because of my son I too was forced to dothings I wouldn't ever have done otherwise. And now I see mybrother, who is four years older than me (and I'm not that young),still suffering from severe social phobias, much more severe than mine.

If there's anything in my life I could wish away, it would be that...having a fear of social situations...

Back