Nervous new rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billythebun

Reaction score
I adopted Bobbi recently and she is doing well. She is very scared of people and was handled badly previously. When I walk over to the run or near the run, she runs and hides. Once I am sat in the run she will hop around but mostly hides. She is more comfortable if I am in there rather than approaching. She takes food from me but generally hops away as soon as she takes it. I am not quite sure how to fix the problem of her running away when she sees me coming. I haven't handled her as I have only had her a couple days, but I think she is scared I am going to grab her and pick her up. When I leave she normally comes straight out. I wish I could get her to trust me! I know all rabbits are different, and it will take time and patience but I guess I am just worried that I will never get there. My other rabbit, Billy, was never that scared of me and he adapted very well considering his rough start in life, he isn't very cuddley at all but loves to come and see me and lick me.
I am a worrier and I just need some advice on how to go about taming this bun. I love her so much and want her to trust me! I am sure it will just take time.
Also, sorry for asking so many questions on here- you are all going to be sick of me soon!!!
Thanks in advance.

You are seeing in a real way what is meant when it is said that 'each rabbit is unique.' They can be vastly different.
A few days is really no time at all. It can take some rabbits much, much longer to acclimate to a new home. Some can literally take months and months to start showing a change.

The fact that she is taking food from your hand while you sit is a great sign. Some rabbits wouldn't do that until weeks had passed. It is wise, at this point, to not attempt to hold her. Let her keep taking food from your hand and from there, work up to just petting her while she takes the food -- but go slowly!

Patience is one thing certain rabbits are sure to teach us. ;)

I adopted Bobbi recently and she is doing well. She is very scared of people and was handled badly previously. When I walk over to the run or near the run, she runs and hides. Once I am sat in the run she will hop around but mostly hides. She is more comfortable if I am in there rather than approaching. She takes food from me but generally hops away as soon as she takes it. I am not quite sure how to fix the problem of her running away when she sees me coming. I haven't handled her as I have only had her a couple days, but I think she is scared I am going to grab her and pick her up. When I leave she normally comes straight out. I wish I could get her to trust me! I know all rabbits are different, and it will take time and patience but I guess I am just worried that I will never get there. My other rabbit, Billy, was never that scared of me and he adapted very well considering his rough start in life, he isn't very cuddley at all but loves to come and see me and lick me.
I am a worrier and I just need some advice on how to go about taming this bun. I love her so much and want her to trust me! I am sure it will just take time.
Also, sorry for asking so many questions on here- you are all going to be sick of me soon!!!
Thanks in advance.
hi,again-billythe bun,-to understand a lagamorph,-what they are is hardwired into them,-{prey animals}-trust is a learned behavior-,and a bit strong..-try developing an environment just for him,-no-loud-noise,sudden movements{hard to do}-try his own feeding station,mirror,poop box,-even a companion bun,--hope something here helps..-my cottontail-jojobeez-loved his own environment,and took along time to be comfortable-but he grew to know it was all his..sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail/bdenium rip

Thanks both of you.
Instead of starting a new thread I will just ask here, do you think it matters if I put both the rabbits in separate hutches overnight? I know you shouldn't separate bonded buns because they can reject eachother when they come back, but I was wondering if if affects them when I put them away at night. They are still bonding (I use the slow method where they live next door to eachother, with just a wire division separating them). I would hate to be causing them to un-bond over night. Not sure I explained that very well!

If they are just living in separate enclosures that are nearby, they aren't bonded and haven't really started the bonding process yet either. That means putting them in separate hutches isn't going to mean much.

But I'm curious as to what is going on. Normally hutches/cages are where bunny lives 24/7 with access to their exercise area. You might have explained this on other threads, but I don't recall.

Maybe check out two bonding methods described here. Once bunnies are completely bonded, then they should not be separated.

I have one big run (20 ft x 10 ft) which was originally just Billy’s, with his hutch attached. Now, I split the run in half and they both have a 10ft x 5ft half each and both have hutches attached so in the day they have 24/7 access from the hutch to the run. I simply just put them in the hutch at night. Does this make sense?
I am using the slow bonding method!

I see. So have you started introducing them in neutral territory for bonding sessions yet?
When they are completely bonded, what are your plans for their shared hutch? Each one will consider their own current hutch as their territory.

No, I was going to let them get used to each other for at least a week before putting them in neutral territory. I am following the recommendations of where I adopted her from.
I had thought about the territory problem... I was thinking I could swap them over and then they wouldn't see each side as their own? I read that on the Bluecross website. That could potentially be a problem though.
My plan when bonded is to join the two hutches together to create a large hutch, and remove the barrier so they have both hutches and the whole run together.
This sounds so complicated, but I swear its more simple than it sounds.

Swapping territory back & forth is a good idea- both the exercise area and the hutches.

When the time comes to start the actual bonding, and after many bonding sessions of neutral territory and good behavior, the tricky part will be when they re-enter the space they currently have. You will want to make the joined hutch as neutral as possible by wiping down with vinegar and re-arranging items.

Glad you think the territory swap is a good idea, I was worried that it might be a little stressful (which it probably will be)
Will be difficult but I hope I can make it work. I am trying so hard to do all of this right, but as you can probably tell this is my first time and I am learning everyday!

Back