nervous Housing a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tixbut

Reaction score
Hi guys, so my partner and I have decided to get a mini lop bunny (we have never had a rabbit before). she is beautiful and we are very excited. But i'm also a little nervous I want everything to be perfect when we pick her up on the weekend and wondering if you can help me out.
I have a large long indoor cage and a litter box for her but i'm worried about what they like to sleep on or in, while in the cage! do they like cover so they can go in and feel safe? or just a bed? and if so do i put a blanket in there as the rest of the cage will have straw? or because it has a hard plastic base do i not need to put straw all over the bottom?
and with the bedding if you have some cheaper ways of doing it that would be great.
One more things what is best to keep them busy such as toys when im out of the house?
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
:grouphug

Hi and welcome to RO! Don't forget to post in the introductions section of the forum.

If you're housing your rabbit somewhere with a hard bottom, then you should only put bedding/litter material in the litter box. That helps them to get the idea of being litter trained much faster. I'm not sure of the age of your rabbit but that also plays a factor. Once you feel like she's figured out the litter box, you can try adding in a bed or blanket for her, but many rabbits either love to pee on soft things or try to eat fabric so this is very dependent on the individual rabbit. Put your hay in your litterbox too because rabbits love to poop and eat at the same time and that makes it easier for everyone!

I agree with what was said above. None of my buns have any soft material to lay on. When I first got my male I tried with him but he would never lay on it and prefers the plastic bottom of his cage. My girls are chewers so for safety reasons I do not provide them with any.

It's easier to figure things out once you get to know your bun. They all have their own personalities and while one may chew everything in sight another won't chew anything. Some are diggers, some are not.

Some buns do like to have a box they can hide in to feel safe. None of mine have a box in their cage and they have all seem to come to the point where their cage is their safe spot. If they are out and something spooks them than that is where they will run to. They do have boxes outside of their cages to play in, dig and chew on.

Toys: hard plastic slinky, hard plastic baby toys such as keys, cat balls, whiffle balls, empty toilet paper or paper towel tubes (these you can also stuff with hay), different toys made for rabbits to name a few. Keep in mind just because a toy or teat is made for rabbits does not mean it is safe or good for rabbits.

Be careful when introducing any new food to your rabbit. You want to start with very tiny amounts and slowly increase as long as there are no signs of GI upset.

thank you so much guys! this has really helped! just so you know she is 10 weeks old so very young :)...I had a good laugh that they eat and poop at the same time ahahaha! so i won't line the bottom with hay ill just put it around the place. should i put a shoe box full of hay for bed? Just because i think she will be to cold on the plastic?
Oh and also i have started moving wires :) so thank you for that.
thanks guys!!!

Bedding- I keep a medium size towel ( The size for hair drying) in her cage to give her an option.

As far as toys- There are some good ones on Petco's site. Look for the small animal/rabbit toys with the highest ratings.
My rabbit loves her hanging wood chew (the one you'll see on the site with the pine cone), and she loves the grass hay ball.

*I've noticed my Rabbit really enjoys a few paper towel sheets. (I suggest some all natural ones)
I throw about 3 or 4 sheets in her cage and switch them out after a couple of days.
She loves to use them for nesting, and it helps keeps her busy in there.
It seems like it makes her happier, and helps her feel like she's setting up a little home.
So I highly recommend paper towels. :)

thank you so much SidneyLion...im a bit worried about putting a towel in there as people have said it can harm them? is there a certain type of towel? Im going to have a look at the toys now thanks!
Also i pick her up tomorrow we have decided to call her Layla :) i will put a picture up soon :)

Hi, well it's better to be on the safe side. However, in my experience I haven't had any problems with towels. I just make sure to wash them with an all natural wash that has no chemicals. Where have you heard of a towel being harmful? As long as they're not chewing/ingesting it, it should be fine. Some people use fleece and other soft materials, but in my experience those are harder to keep clean.
Layla is a pretty name. Looking forward to seeing her :)

It is recommended not to use towels because the fibers could cause a GI blockage if the bun chews the towel and ingests the fibers. A towel would be safe if the bun is not a chewer. Fleece fibers would be safer if ingested. Although you really don't want them to eat either.

If you do fill a box with hay just be prepared for your bun to possibly use it as a litter box. When I first brought my male home at ten weeks I had a bowl for him. Half I would fill with hay and the other half with pellets. He would hop into it and sit their in his food and potty. Needless to say I bought a smaller bowl he couldn't fit into for just his pellets and a hay rack.

If your bun will be in your home and you heat your home then your bun should be warm enough even sleeping on a plastic floor. I think that's actually why my boy prefers the plastic as it's cooler than a towel or fleece.

Latest posts

Back