Need Urgent Help with Cat Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Houdina got a booster shot today. She is really really knocked out. She suddenly awoke, ran, and threw up. A lot. I rushed to the phone, ready to run off with her... They told me that since her face isn't swollen and that so far she hadn't thrown up more than once, they were not worried. I am.

Her eyes are tearing. Is it because she threw up? She looks miserable :tears2:Now the vet is closed and I cannot get to the DMV so I don't know what to do if she is reacting badly :banghead

What should I do, what should i look for? Is there something that could help? I am worried :(

The vets refer you to the DMV after 9:00pm. The DMV is very far from here.

Bah she is eating now. I guess that is a good thing? :?

Okies, she seems ok. The fever broke thank goodness. She is eating, drinking, following me around, and even playing a bit. I have a number in case but she seems ok now. For her next shots I think I will ask the vet to prep me a dose of epinephrine (?) just in case since I have no emergency vet nearby :?I don't think she is allergic, but her reactions are getting worse each time.

Aww, poor Houdina! What a rotten past few days she's had. I'm glad she seems to be better, is she still acting okay?

MsBinky wrote:
For her next shots I think I will ask the vet to prep me a dose of epinephrine (?) just in case since I have no emergency vet nearby :?I don't think she is allergic, but her reactions are getting worse each time.
If a human were to have continued reactions like that, they'd be advised to never get another vaccination again. It concerns me that your vet's office didn't take her reaction seriously - face swelling would be a life threatening complication, but any and all reactions should be considered significant. I would really suggest that you consider avoiding any vaccine that isn't legally mandated, and even then, seeing if you can check titers as a substitute for re-vaccination.

For indoor cats, boosters are only recommended every three years anyway. But if it were my cat, I wouldn't consider the risk of disease to be worth the risk of needing an epi pen just for a vaccine.

I'm glad your kitty is feeling better now :hug:

humans do react to vaccines on a regular basic, often children who have a vaccine, feel miserable, achy, tired,low grade fever after their vaccines. It is quite typical.

Of course there is a difference between an average "reaction" of feeling miserable, and an "allergic reaction". Some animals do follow in the same category of feeling under the weather after a vaccine, just as people do.

But I do feel it is important for a possible allergic reaction to be taken seriously by the Doctor and or office that preformed the vaccine.

Don't take this personally Ms Binky, but often peoplecan't always tell what is going on in the difference, and may miss an important factor that makes the difference between general reaction and allergic reaction, so i think if a person thinks their animal is having a potential vaccine reaction, the least a vet could do is say, bring them down real quick, we'll have a very quick look at them just to be sure it's NOT an allergic reaction.

If the animal is fine, send them on their way, if not, then they can do something about it. that is how we operate, we'd rather know for a fact the animal is OK and their human is maybe extra sensitive,( not the right word but best I can think of at the moment, ) than ignore a potentialallergic reaction, and have something happen.

I don't know which vaccine your cat had, but my 2 opinions on it are depending on what vaccine it is. If it is a rabies vaccine, with the seriousness of rabies, and being 100% fatal, not to mention passable to humans and any other mammal, To me unless there is other serious health issues then a rabies vaccine in my opinion should be done regardless, and pre-dosed prior to having the vaccine so there isn't an allergic reaction.

Rabies however is one of the vaccines that is typically least likely to cause a reaction.

Typically one of the others is the culprit, the feline "distemper"vaccine which is often a combo vaccine of several vaccines in one. We have found feline "distemper" vaccine that contain the clamidia vaccine in them, are a allergic reaction trigger. To the point we don't even use the vaccine with clamidia in it any more. We use a "distemper" vaccine that does not contain clamidia.

I do not know what your laws are on requiring other vaccines that are not rabies, opinions on options, not knowing your laws.

We often only give the "distemper" vaccine to house cats who do not go out side at all, every 3 years, the actual true distemper virus is in fact a feline parvo virus, highly contagious. if there is a population of feral cats in your area, the chances of your cat coming in contact with it are much greater. It had a 90% change of fatality.

other virus's that are vaccinated for, aren't all "fatal" some just make the animal really miserable like if you were to have a bad flu bug, but they will get better.

Then there are things link FeLV(feline Leukemia) has a vaccine, and FIV(feline immunodeficiency virus, basically feline aids) also has a vaccine. , A cat who does become sick with either of these you have to be careful about what they are exposed to, as their immune systems are far more susceptible to illness, but they can live happy and normal lives with the disease, but typically shorter lives.

I personally do not have a cat, the last time i had a cat was 1997, so I can't say I know for a fact what I would do, but i can tell you what i would think I would do.

If my cat was indoors only, which for me, there are just so many human dangers out there, that would be the only option to me, my last cat was a house cat.

To me no questions hands down, rabies would be done as is required by law. If in the odd chance my cat had a vaccine reaction, I would have my cat pre-dosed prior to vaccine to be sure she would be ok( I tend to have females cats, when i"ve had them, so I'll prob just say she)

If my cat was fine and never had reactions, after her first kitten shots I'd probably vaccinate her every 3 years. Being an indoor cat, would probably do her rabies, and her "distemper" vaccine minus clamidia, those every 3 years. Rabies vaccine in my area by law after after the first kitten shot, you have to get the next vaccine 10-12 months after but not more than 12 months, and then it becomes a 3 year vaccine.

same applies to dogs for rabies.

if my cat had an allergicreaction to the "distemper vaccine" my options in my mine, 1, pre-dose and do the vaccine, 2, since it is not require by law in my area and the cat is a house cat, do not do the vaccine again, runs risk though if the cat escapes, 3, titre the cat either yearly, every other year, or every 3 years and check the levels in the system, vaccinate when needed, and pre-dose prior to the vaccine.

for some animals the vaccine stays in their system for a good amt of time, for others it drops much quicker, so while one cat their vaccine may be good in their system for 6 years, another cat might need tohave abooster every 2 years.

in the end you have to do what you feel is best for both the cat and yourself.

I hope some of the info has helped. And i know it was very long winded of me, But I'd like to help you make what you feel is the best decision for you and your cat.

I know i did not cover all of the vaccines listen that are included in the "distemper" vaccine, but that is because there are several vaccines available, and they each have a different number of vaccines in them, it depends on what combo your vet uses, or if they have single vaccines, which most currently do not..

If you kitty received the"distemper" vaccine personally I'd check to see if it contains clamidia, if it does, then maybe on her next booster, asking for one that does not have clamidia in it, see if that helps. it is an additional option depending on what vaccines your kitty got.

best wishes, kisses to the kitty--G

Thanks for the info. :)This morning at around 5am, I heard her playing with a bowl and I jumped up and ran to it thinking "Oh no, the tuna!" I had completely forgotten it as it was out of sight, behind the curtains. I had taken it from her within seconds but it was empty. I am now thinking that she probably ate it yesterday and not today and that is why she was sick. She always does get a little sick from her vaccines: slight fever, moody, very sleepy, etc. So maybe it was a combination of both. I am still taking it seriously though and will discuss it more in depth with her vet when I see her next week.

These are indeed her kitten shots. Maybe I called them boosters when boosters and recalls are different? She already had her first when I got her, I took her for her second, but I apparently never did the 3rd. I admit I really don't remember and I don't have it in her booklet so most likely I didn't go. We are redoing them because the vet felt it was safer.

She is being vaccinated against multiple things. I'll have to check exactly what it is... Think it's parvo, rhino (which she is a carrier), and something something. I have no choice to have all her vaccines done as I may change countries and by law it needs to be done to do so. I am relieved to hear that the rabies shot usually causes less reaction. I was really worried about it because we are having it done in 10 days. I also agree, I would have the rabies shot done in any case. I am absolutely surprised that she didn't already have it as I thought that by law it was obliged and that they'd have done it the first time the lady took her in. Bah, anyhow, it will be done now and I will have peace of mind.

She is indeed an indoor cat and never had any intention to have a cat outdoors. It was an accident that taught me to be more careful and also not doubt how much better it is to keep a cat indoors. There are waaaay too many risks. I thought once she'd been out she'd always be sad about not going out but so far, she is staying away from the windows, and hiding in blankets and sleeping on pillows. I think she didn't find her escapade all that grand. Not that I am complaining!

Either way, I will be speaking to the vet and seeing what can be done and if indeed she reacts too strongly. They are a good place and they know I go all the way with the pets when I go. Yesterday, they just felt it unnecessary and didn't want me paying so much because it had just cost me 240$ plus another 240$ next week plus another 50$ in a month. Lol.

Thanks for all the info though as it really helps me know what to look for and what to ask :rose:

Latest posts

Back