Need to Switch Food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
I'm currently feeding Purina Show rabbit pellets (in addition to hay and greens). I am assuming that now that I'm no longer showing/breeding my rabbits and am in the process of having them spayed/neutered, they have different nutritional requirements... mainly in terms of protein?

What is the ideal protein range for them now? I have 3 adult males (one is neutered), an adult female, and a four month old female.

I just want to make sure that they won't become overweight now that they're going to be fixed.

Purina Show is a 16% protein pellet that's alfalfa based. You can probably switch to a Timothy based pellet that's lower in protein.

Rabbits that are spayed or neutered do tend to have a lower metabloism than intact rabbits, do don't need as much protein or pellets in general.
You could keep feeding the same food, but would need to feed less to avoid weight gain. Most pets need about 1/4 cup of pellets per 5 pounds of body weight, but it is a guideline and some need more and others less.
Most pet rabbit foods are around 12-16% protein, with most being about 14%.

I like Oxbow pellets

I bought the Timothy Complete today for Kevin to try. It smells really weird, like Mexican food...??? I guess we'll see if he likes it.

I'm not sure what sort of Mexican food you have in Kentucky but the Kaytee Timothy Complete I've smelled smells like rabbit food. Timothy Complete is a decent pellet. Personally I feed Oxbow Essentials Adult (formerly bunny basics T).

LOL! That's the best way I could explain it. The other pellets smell like hay/fresh. These smell spicy for some reason. Kind of burned my nose.

Back