Need tips on stoping him from chewing bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows_Girl

Reaction score
Ok so anywhere from 2am-6amhe will chew his bars, you know that time when Im trying to sleep lol.And I need to find away to stop him, bc I cant go on without sleep.Removing him from my room is not an option unfortnatly. Were upstairsand if moved outta my room away from the a/c is not a good idea beingat this time during the year the temp is actually hotter upthere thenoutside so he need to be in with me in the a/c. And my mom sleepsdownstairs so putting him down there would just keep her awake lol. Soim kinda stuck on what to do. He gets plenty of time out of his cage,and when I try putting new stuff in his cage it only distracts him fora minute....his mind wanders and is easily distracted and bored lol. Souh yeah I need help here lol.

I also have a rabbit in my bedroom and I loosepatience after a few mintues of ripping and banging and racing around.Maybe try getting him a chew toy that attaches to the side of the cage?I've also read about people putting something bitter so the rabbitdoesn't like the taste.

Hope he hushes down! :D

I havnt tried the blanket/sheet ideayet...you said it worked for you? What do you think it is about it thatmakes them stop? I thought about trying to put somthing on the barsthat wouldnt taste good but wasnt sure what is considerd ok to use..Thnx for the replys if he does it 2nite the first thing I shall try isthe blanket.

My Munchkin has started doing that to a smalldegree and I think it might be a way to get attention. A lot of goodsuggestions have already been offered so I'll simply suggest that maybeyour bunny is trying to get your attention. Not the best way, granted,but if it brings you to their cage then they've probably accomplishedwhat they set out to do.

Keep trying different things until one of them works. One is bound to work. :)

Blyre

Yeah I have a feeling its him wantingout/attention...oh I dont go to the cage at all bc I dont want toencourage him...right now all I can think to do is squirt him with awater bottle which actually works..but as always not for long lol.

Covering the cage from the time I went to beduntil I had to get up worked quite well for baby crows (and when theygot older), kittens, and baby skunks, and baby and adultrabbits. They can't see what else is going on ...or their human ... so have more of a tendency to settle down.:))) It doesn't cost much to try it.

It is 2:34 in the morning andIwasawoken (at 2:00on thedot)by the sound of my wonderful bunny tearing the livingbejeezus out of her cage. Throwing toys, rattling the cage bars,chomping and digging, and anything else that can possibly shatter thesilence of the middle of the night. It's quiet now but what I had to doto get the quiet back was to rearrange her cage exactly the way it wasbefore I moved her into my bedroom. Once I did that, everything seemedto go back to normal.

I am firmly convinced that the cage rattling (at least in my case) waspurely a means to get attention and to get something done that thebunny wants done. Have you changed anything in the cage lately thatmight make your bunny more insistent that it be changed back? Added orremoved something? Moved stuff around that the bunny didn't like? Foryour sanity and peace of mind, look over your setup and examine whatyou've changed recently.

That being said, I am now going to go back to bed. :D

Blyre

Aww, I'm sorry to hear you aren't getting much sleep because of your bun.

My new bunny Layla was really noisy at night, she would run around inher cage like a psycho throwing all her toys around. Now I take all ofthe noisy toys out of her cage before I go to bed, and put a towel overher cage. I also put a towel underneath the cage so it doesn't make anynoise against the wooden floors. This has seemed to makeherafair bitcalmer at night, all I canhear now is the munching of hay.

I hope one of the suggestions posted by everyone works for you, goodluck andI hope you getsome well deservedsleep:)

Can your bunny see you at night? My bunnies onlyseem to chew on the cage when they see me. My cage is at the foot ofthe bed, so they can't really see me. It used to be so bad that if Ihad to go somewhere in the middle of the night, I had to sneak out ofmy own room! If they saw me, they wouldn't stop chewing and rattling.It has since gotten better, thank goodness:).

I honestly think that when they are covered thatit gives them the sense of security that they might experience if theywere in their own den, burrow, nest,whatever. They don't see all the thingsgoing on around them, so "feel" secure.

Wow thanx for all the replys! Ok someonementioned things in his cgae being removed well I had taken his hayball out bc he found away to bang it against the cages bars which wasway worse then chewing lol. So I put it back in last nite and attachedit with cable ties this time. And I also put his cage back against thewall so only the front of his cage was exposed, it was at an angleb4...you can kinda see it in the pics I recectly posted. I tried thisbc one it makes it very dark in his cage with 3 sides coverd by wallsand a table next to it, and 2 bc I tried the blanket/towel idea and itdidnt work bc he got ahold of it and started chewing it lol. But anywaylast nite that all seemed to work...but we will see if it works againtonite lol. I will keep ya posted and thnx again....and also i wouldlike to just cover his cage rather then moving it....its a rather bigcage and a pain to keep moving it...so anyideas on how to keep theblanket outta his reach? Do your rabbits chew on it when u do it? Andthe reason I have to move the cage back outta the corner is bc duringthe day he gets no light if he is back by the wall. And sorry if allthat was confusing lol. Thnx again!

Pebbles does not bite on her cage barsbut will bite on the bars of her pen. Sheviews it as a barrier to open space, so I wouldblock the view with cardboard and she stops chewing.

5819.jpg

Rainbows! :)

Oh my gosh, I feel for you! All four of mine areso loud at night, and none of them are in our bedroom. But I can hearthem still in the living room (which is by my bedroom). Kitkat will dothe same thing all night long, chew and bang on the bars. Then they allrace around throwing their toys. It's play time for sure at night.Which is probably all normal in the wild, but not to us who need sleep!One night I had a really bad cold and tried to sleep sitting up on thecouch in the living room. They were so loud I just gave up.

I'd try the bitter apple, and hope that they won't think it tastes good. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back