Need some reassurance from breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I do for any pet rabbit that I sell is have the new owner sign an adoption contract that basically just says that they will care for the rabbit properly (giving it food, water, and a proper sized cage), and that if they find that there is any situation where they feel they can no longer keep the rabbit, they will bring it back to me. This has warded off anyone who was just looking for a cheap rabbit. Since people pay cash for bunnies, they can get one and just take off and do whatever they want with it. But having them sign a contract puts them "on the books" per se. Having their signature basically makes it a legal binding contract. I keep one copy for me and they also get a copy.

At this time of year, make sure people know about the proper care of a rabbit. You will probably get replies from people who want an easter rabbit but won't want the long term commitment of one.
I would try to avoid selling them in pairs or groups. It can be hard to sex babies and you don't want someone else to end up with a litter. As well as that, even babies raised together can fight once they reach maturity. Many people are not really prepared to house and care for 2 rabbits right away and deal with the costs of spaying and neutering.
Definitely ask questions. People who just want a cute bunny won't really know how to care for it properly. Get them to include pictures or links of items like the cage and food so you know what they are wanting to use. Don't be too specific about what you are looking for in the people. If someone knows that you will only sell to indoor homes, they might lie to get the rabbit and just keep it in a hutch or cage outside. They should offer the info first so you know they aren't trying to suck up to you and say the right thing.
It is ok to be suspicious about some people. You do not have to sell to anyone you don't feel is right. If you have a bad feeling, just say no.
Personally, I would not give them to a pet store as you give up all control over what happens to them. Most stores will sell to anyone with the money. At this time of year, that is usually parents of small kids. Since many of these rabbits end up in a shelter, set free or killed by neglect, I would not do it. If you want to make sure these rabbits go to good homes, you need to keep them and screen all possible people yourself.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Personally, I would not give them to a pet store as you give up all control over what happens to them. Most stores will sell to anyone with the money. At this time of year, that is usually parents of small kids. Since many of these rabbits end up in a shelter, set free or killed by neglect, I would not do it. If you want to make sure these rabbits go to good homes, you need to keep them and screen all possible people yourself.
I agree with that. Pet stores would sell to anyone. I have seen many babies die in pet stores they get sick from the stess and pet stores really dont care.

We I was finding homes for our bunnies, I did not want any money, just wanted to know they would be cared for and fixed. When I had them at the vet for a health check, 2 vet techs scooped up a couple.
The last 3, were actually "adopted" when I posted about their birth and pics on facebook, a friend of my niece saw it and inquired.
Ironically, out of 8, the 3 we kept and the 3 on facebook all turned out to be female.

I guess, I am suggesting, talk to your local vets, they may know good people who want to give bunnies an excellent home.

Latest posts

Back