Need some reassurance from breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesmaven

Reaction score
I have a response from my craigslist ad, someone wants all the girls and they are from a farm. I'll never have another litter, this was a fluke and I don't regret it for a moment. I am concerned about the lives they'll have. I want them to be spoiled rotten members of a family like they are here. Am I nuts to be worried?

If you're so worried, ask them what they plan to do with them and how they will be keeping them. You are allowed to do this, don't be afraid to make sure they get the life you want them to have. You are the seller of the bunnies and if you don't feel that you are connecting the right bunny to the right person, simply, very very politely, refuse to sell to them.

I'm going to feel the same way you do when it comes to find homes for Hope's litter. But I also know she'll have more for me also. The baby bunny bug has bitten me DANG HARD!!! I just love it.

But after breeding puppies, reptiles and horses for years and finding them new homes, it's hard, but there will always be more, in my case.

It'll be okay. Ask tons of questions and go w/ your gut. It's always worked for me.

Thanks! I just wrote the person and asked him some questions and explained that I'm gonna be picky because this is the first and last litter I'll have. I sure have enjoyed it though!

Some questions I always ask:

Where will you keep the rabbit?

Have you had rabbits before?

Do you have a local source for rabbit food and hay?

Do you have a vet who can treat rabbits? (Sometimes I'll even ask for the vet's name)

Who will be taking care of the rabbit?

Are there other pets in the home? If so - what?

In your case - I'd be asking why they want all girls. Two possible responses are "to breed" or "so they don't breed".

Since I live in SW Texas where it can hit 110 or higher in the summer - I try to not let my rabbits go to outdoor homes-but I don't tell people that right up front - I wait to see where they want to keep their rabbit. Then in my reply I will explain, "I raise these rabbits to be indoor pets and they are used to air conditioning - so I'm sorry that I can't sell you a rabbit but I don't want it to die on you."

I have sold rabbits before to live outdoors and they died....hence my policy now.

I like Tinys questions. I have been promised alot when rehoming my husbands lab after destroying my house twice and the lady scr3wed me over. Couldnt get the dog back either. Be very picky. ND's are hard when it comes to litters so ill prolly be keeping agood bit of them. Litters will also be few and far.

Why all the girls? To breed them? If they are pet quality, do you want them being bred? Are you ok with the idea of them not being pet rabbits? I guess it all depends on what you are ok and not okay with. Personally, I would get nervous about someone wanting any and all my girls. :)

You should learn who are the "backyard" breeders in your area. The ones that have no interest in the well being of their animals and only do it for profit. I have a complete list of swindlers I refuse to sell to.

Like they said above. Ask questions and get an idea of their intentions. If they are brand new bunny owners educate them, becuase I am amazed and the number of people who want a rabbit and don't realize the pros and cons of having one in their home.

Thanks y'all I emphasized that they are house rabbits in my ad. I'll copy and use those questions. I haven't had a response yet from the guy who wanted all the girls.

My prayer for these babies is that they go to a home where they are loved as much as they are here and they are members of the family.

I wouldn't trust anyone who wants to take all the females from you, personally. There is a slight chance she may just want to keep them together since they are litter mates, but the more pessimistic side just says backyard breeder.

Too bad this couldn't have happened at a different time of year, most of your inquiries are probably going to be people wanting bunnies for Easter gifts. *Sigh*

Anyways, I wish you luck!

yeah it's a bad time but I'm stuck with it. Maybe I should give them away at 8 weeks instead of 10. I want them to have the best start possible

I missed the "only girls" part. Yeah that sounds like they want them for breeding and if they want that many buns and never had rabbits would really scare me.

apparently he's the foreman on a farm so it's almost certain he wants to breed them, probably for meat. These precious little girls deserve better than that so do the boys. This is so hard. I can see how easy it is to end up a hoarder.

What breed are they?

I would be very suspicious of someone who wants all the females.

If you're really worried, get them to email you a pic of their set up for the rabbits too. It's not foolproof, but it will help to find a good home.

Unfortunately, even if you did a home check, there's no guarantee it'll be a good home, but ask lots of questions and you hopefully and probably will find them good homes :)

I have no idea what breed they are. I don't know what Josephine is and she was pregnant when I got her so I don't know what breed the daddy is either. I'm thinking of canceling the ad because I'm getting responses like "can you bring them to my facility?" "can you drop off a male?" UGH!

Be picky where your buns go and post a listing in a local newspaper. Also petco let's you bring in some animals and they will place them for you with pet wanting owners. I would also make some flyers and post them in the area. If hard times come into play tell them if it doesn't work out they can always bring them back to you which petco won't do but the owners you meet may be able to do. That's what I do. Instead of one of my buns I'm responsible for can no longer stay where it's presant home is I take all bund back but do not pay for the bunny to come back to me. This isn't rent a bunny.

Back