Need Some Quotes for Rabbit Book!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suburban Farmer

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm finishing up a rabbit book for Hobby Farms on Small-Scale Rabbit Raising and I'm looking for some advice tips for readers (that I can quote from you) for some sidebars.

One of them is called "Hindsight is 20/20" and will have helpful advice from rabbit raisers on what they would have done differently if they had the chance to their rabbitry over. I would love some story-advice about raising kits or making/saving money with rabbits...or why you chose the breed you chose (did it choose you?).

Thank so much in advance. I'm turning this book in Monday and I'm just adding the final touches.

As far as my history: I used to raise and show American Fuzzy Lops for years in the Northern California Foothills, and I was also one of the first breeders to hold a certificate by the ARBA to present the Velveteen Lop breed (which, of course, isn't yet recognized). I've taught 4H forever and have only recently stepped down as the rabbit leader and now teach Wildlife and Gardening (I'm predominately a garden writer).

Anyway our herd is down to six rabbits now - my youngest daughter shows at this point.

Thanks!

Chris

Here's some advice for anyone who breeds or shows lol:

Save your money and educate yourself! Don't just settle on that "cute" little bunny. Learn everything you can about the breed you want. When you're ready to buy your first stock, save up as much money as you can so you can afford the best. It will save you a lot of frustration! If I would have done that...it could have saved me about 4 years. I had to sell and start all over because I just couldn't win or place high at shows.

Keeping a rabbit or I should say being kept by a rabbit is great. I have found it impossible to be mad or sad when petting a bunny. Rabbits make wonderful therapists and they are so much cheaper.

Also, never assume your bunny gate is high enough. If it doesn't go to the ceiling it isn't tall enough.

Choosing breeds is always the one thing that breeders will be struggling, or not struggling, with. Either you'll think twice about choosing which breed you did, or you'll love the breed you chose. I think it goes both ways, as far as breeders choosing breeds and breeds choosing breeders. :D

That's really cool that you're working on this book! I had a Hobby Farms book for sheep and it was great! When will this book be published & available? :p I will def. have to get it!

Emily

Back