Need some help/advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFthfulJrney

Reaction score
I have a holland lop bunny who is 3 months old. She has just started to sit in her litter box and kick all the litter out with her back legs. By the time she is done, her cage is filthy and her litter box empty. Is there a reason she is doing this?

While she is sitting in the empty litter box, she takes her front paws and "digs" that is the best way I can describe it...like she is trying to dig a hole in it. I am just not sure why she is doing this and if it is normal rabbit behavior.

Also, she is still pretty jittery around us. We are unable to pet/hold her without her squirming and jumping out of our arms. Is this because she is still a baby or just because she may not be a rabbit that likes affection?

TIA! :)

Digging is very normal rabbit behaviour. You may want to get a litter box with a grid that sits over the litter. There are some that come that way in the pet store or I've heard of people making their own. Also, you might want to give her something else to dig in, like a cardboard box full of shredded paper.

As far as being jittery, patience and treats will probably help. The more time you spend with her, the better, but I wouldn't try to pick her up and hold her. Start out with trying to give her treats and letting her come to you and see how that goes. There is a section in the library in this section called bonding with your bunny that you might want to check out.I spent a lot of time laying on the floor reading books with my rabbit and eventually she would get so curious she'd come up and check me out. Once she realized I was "safe", I could pet her.

:yeahthat: Nikki, our avatar loves to dig so much that we can't keep litter in her pan either. All our bunnies love shredded newspaper too. You could try putting the litter pan inside of a box with a doorway cut in it--makes it harder to make a mess.

Latest posts

Back