Need some emergency advice! is my rabbit injured?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyisthecoolest

Reaction score
My mum had to grab my 7 month old rabbit today as it escaped and she panicked. I usually transport my rabbit in a carrier as he hates being picked up, i even let him go in the carrier on his own time table and i don’t pressure him in.

I wasn’t there so i don’t know how hard she grabbed him but i am worried that my rabbit could be injured. So far everythings normal. He’s stayed in his ‘bedroom’ which is the part of his hut with windows (he usually prefers another part of his hut but its not unusual for him to hide in there when he’s too hot its 26c today).

There are 2 things that slightly concern me. He wasn’t excited to get his fresh veggies for dinner. Its not too unusual for him as he usually eats his food in his own time and he has been grazing on grass all day. I’ve seen him eat hay since though. He also let me pick him up, which is very strange as he usually runs away. He made a very quiet squeaking sound and was very chill.

Is this behaviour a sign of injury? I am worried that my rabbit is injured and i don’t know so any advice would be useful. unfortunately i can’t jump to take him to the vet as money is tight but if anyone thinks he truly is injured or his condition worsens then i will. I’ll also give updates but any knowledge would be amazing!

Update:
He’s moved and has eaten some food but has not yet finished his entire dinner (this isn’t too unusual for him though)

I think the most important thing to look out for:
-Eating, drinking
-Healthy poops
-And the way he is moving. If you don't notice anything during his movement (not using leg, limping etc..) he is probably ok
Addittional tip: You can carefully smooth your hand around his whole body just to check if there is spot where it looks sensitive (although you have to keep in mind that by nature there are parts which they will immediatley react with sudden "NO!NO! moving away")

I think the most important thing to look out for:
-Eating, drinking
-Healthy poops
-And the way he is moving. If you don't notice anything during his movement (not using leg, limping etc..) he is probably ok
Addittional tip: You can carefully smooth your hand around his whole body just to check if there is spot where it looks sensitive (although you have to keep in mind that by nature there are parts which they will immediatley react with sudden "NO!NO! moving away")
Thank you! i didnt even think about checking for healthy poops but i definitely will now

If he's squeaking when you hold him and this isn't something he's done before, it could be because there is something causing pain. And if he's having unusual lethargy and reduced appetite as well, then that would also indicate something is wrong. It could be minor or very serious. But it would take an experienced rabbit vet checking your rabbit over and likely doing xrays, to determine if some sort of internal injury occurred.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Just to show you that serious problems can occur, just from grabbing onto a rabbit, not even very hard/ A past member was holding or carrying her rabbit, I can't remember exactly why, and her rabbit struggled and was going to fall to the floor, so she grabbed onto him so he wouldn't. She didn't think she grabbed too tightly, but this ended up rupturing his cecum, which he did end up passing from. So even something that seems minor, can end up being very serious. But it's also very possible that nothing serious happened with your bun and he'll be fine. But there's just no way to say one way or the other without a proper exam being done.

If you don't go to the vet right away, I would suggest to keep a very close eye on him for any odd changes of behavior and/or eating, and if he is acting unusual and/or not eating like he normally would be, I would suggest to get him to a rabbit vet right away.

Its been about 3 days since and he’s completely fine! i’m still watching over him carefully but he’s gone back to his usual self

Back