Need some advice on rabbit cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flakey

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to RO, came here for advice about rabbit cages. Today, I've noticed my old rabbit cage is about to fall apart, I've been doing some research on google and many owners suggest that a non-bottom wired cage would be the best option along with a litter box.

I would agree that a non-wired bottom cage would help comfort my rabbit, however, I live in a condo with my parents and they wouldn't allow snowy in the house, so my only option is to keep him outdoors on the lanai where it gets breezy during the day time.

My problem here is I wouldn't want snowy to bathe in his own litter, and keeping a litter box with pellets makes it quite impossible since it gets windy and anything light would get blown all over the place.

Are there any suggestions from anyone to help me decide on a new cage and alternatives to a litter box? Would appreciate the help!

Hi flakey,

Welcome to RO!!! I just love your little guy, very cute!!! :p

If you still need a cage with a wire bottom for him to do his job, perhaps you could get something with a little house attached for his protection and safety from the wind, watch where he is going to potty the most, and lay something down (like a board with a carpet on it) to prevent sore hocks. I was just watching this thread about the types of carpets people might use in their bunny cages: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38864&forum_id=48

I know there is another thread about cages with pictures. Maybe there will be something in there that will catch your eye. Don't forget though that the NIC cages are for indoor use as they can be a temporary set-up and not sturdy enough for the type of wind you might be talking about

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31876&forum_id=21

Hope that help and gives you a few ideas...

myheart

Firstly, could you add your location to your profile. Thank you!

I would suggest using/building an NIC cage for your bun!:D

They're way more inexpensive and better than any "store bought" cage.:D

Have you seen our thread in Photo Philes on NIC cages?

Here's a link to the second installment, haha;).

Hope you like them!:D

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37295&forum_id=21

Welcome to RO!

I would just like to reiterate the fact that NIC cages are great--but please don't use them outside since it's easier for predators to get to your bunny.

I think you can still buy a hutch with a wire botton because there are many things that you can line the cage with! An easy/cheap one is a sink mat :)

-Kathy

Evey wrote:
I would just like to reiterate the fact that NIC cages are great--but please don't use them outside since it's easier for predators to get to your bunny.

-Kathy

Yes, definitely, NICs are not for outside use. A hutch is your best option there. So, yes, a non wired bottom is best.

As far as litter, I use Yesterday's News pellets and I can't see them "blowing" anywhere really. It should work for you.

Too bad you can't keep the bun inside.:(

Thanks to all who had replied. I've made a choice to purchase a non-wired bottom cage for Snowy. He loves his new home :).

flakey wrote:
Thanks to all who had replied. I've made a choice to purchase a non-wired bottom cage for Snowy. He loves his new home :).

glad you got something picked out! every body did a really good job answering on this thread, i wish i'd seen it sooner:(. i love to help:tongue

so, do we get to see pictures of your cutie pie's new home? and s/he's so, so cute:inlove:!i'm in love!

Hi everyone, I know you've been anxious to see Snowy's new home. (been busy with school) Though my only problem now is to get him to use the litter box. ( he doesn't seem to like to use it :( ). I've also bought a cheap, sturdy utility mat from Walmart and I guess it's all good ;). The quality of the pictures may not be good, couldn't find my digi cam, so I've decided to use my last resort, my mobile phone. :blushan:

Welcome to Snowy's Crib :dude:

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

Guess he loves his cozy little spot there hehehe.

Hi!

Great pictures! I wish my camera phone took pictures that good! Snowy is soo cute! Added to my bunny-napping list now! :p

Is the cage for indoor or outdoor? I know you said outdoor originally, I just can't make it out in the pictures- and that sort of cage is only for indoor use really, as it doesn't offer nearly enough protection from the elements or from predators...

Jen :)

Dana and I kept Zamboni and Sammy in that exact cage (each had their own) until we moved them into a FN142 about a week ago. You did a great job on the shelf; is it cable tied on or is it just placed between the wires?

The mats are a good idea since you can just vacuum them off and wash as needed. We do the same for our buns and fert cages.

Hope your bun loves his new home!!!

hi everyone,

sorry for the delay in reply. ^^

Snowy finally managed to use the litter pan and he's been real happy with his new home.

for mouse_chalk, lol well I've used my Sony Ericsson w580i phone to take pictures. I live in a condominium, so Snowy should be fine from predators. (unless the cockroaches or ants and small lizards counts). As mentioned in my earlier post, I am unable to have Snowy indoors because my parents don't love animals :(. He's just outside the sliding door of our lanai (patio).

in reply to tort, the shelf was cable tied. It actually came hanging in one of the slots and I was wondering what it was for since leaving it hanging in the middle of the cage would divide space. I figured making a shelf would surprise Snowy since now he's found himself a new napping area ^^. The berber mat on the shelf was actually some leftover pieces when I had my room carpet changed and it's good quality berber as well, although Snowy started ripping it apart lately.

Latest posts

Back