Need some advice from experienced breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again,

I was just wondering if it's normal for mom to keep pulling fur and making nests a week postpartum?

~Kate

Some of my does tend to do that... she'll give birth with only a tad bit of fur lining around them, and then throughout a week or two, she'll keep on pulling more fur out. One of my does that do this nearly pulls ALL her fur off in the summer, lol. It's ridiculous, but yeah. All does take care of litters a little differently.

I know it sounds odd but I wonder if she is still pregnant. You bred her again two weeks after you bred her the first time. I would palpate the doe and see if she is carrying a second littler. That would explain the odd behavior of building nests over and over again.

Roger

You know, I was actually thinking if that was possible. I did rebreed her because I didnt know she was already pregnant....and she readily took to the buck. She would be due on this Tues and THAT was the litter I was expecting...not this one she has now. I did feel her belly though and I don't think there are any other babies in there.....of course..I have been wrong before. I thought they didnt take to the buck if they were pregnant already? Oh,:( what a mess.....

Some does will accept a buck even if they are already bred. It's not a common occurance for them to actually carry a second litter though. (It can happen, just not typical.)

I'd keep an eye on her and wait and see. I do have one Flemish doe that pulls fur for 2+ weeks after kindling. She doesn't stop until the babies starthoping out of the nestbox. (Every time the babies move to a different part of the nestbox, she pulls more fur around them.)

Yup, thats what she seems to be doing...every time they move to another spot, she pulls more and gets some more hay to put in it....kind of comical actually. I told her shes going to go bald if she keeps pulling her hair out, lol. I cringe everytime I see her doing it..OUCH!:p

Awww... she's trying to be a good mommy. You have to give them credit... would you pull all your hair out for your kids? (Oh WAIT! I DO pull my hair out over my kids! LOL! :pullhair:)

So the babies are 8 days old today (hooray! :party0002:) When will they be out "of the woods" so to speak? Or will I always have to be worried?They should have their eyes open in a couple days right?

I have pics!! They are a little blurry though.

#1 is the daddy...my opal buck. He didn't want to pose for me. Wanted to get down and run around.

#2 is of mommy...broken fawn doe...she didnt want to pose for nothing either :?.

#3 is babies! Can someone tell me what color this one is? Is he chestnut agouti? He has black guard hairs and a golden brown underneath. His belly is light cream brown color.I have a pic of the other baby but it didnt come out that well. He is a broken of the same color as this one . Any ideas?

popeye.jpg

Olive.jpg

babies.jpg

Latest posts

Back