Need some advice from experienced breeders

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clevername mentioned that superglue would hold it shut so I said ok.....I didnt need to anywaybecause it did heal overnight on its own. :thumbup

How are you doing ? any luck yet? if your doe is used to something like carrot then i usually give my doe a peice of veg and put the babies under her if she doesnt like it i gently stroke her head but keep her in oen place so she relaxes a bit and the babies have the chance underneath her to get some milk. sometimes it works better that way cause gravity seems to help the milk come down :)

I have been putting them under her every hour or so now....she seems to hate it...cant understand why. I just pet her head and keep her still while they find their way... I can hear them suckling but I know there is nothing there..Im hoping this will get her milk to drop...Is it normal that she's sleeping in the nestbox???

I have had some does do it when they have a singleton. or they are being protetive of their nests. Most of the time they stay away from their babies.

have you had a good feel of her nipples? are they like a lump round the teat (can't think of a better word sorry) they should feel swollen if there is milk. Sometimes it can take a while for the milk to come in but I would have an alternative just in case. It could be she is juts a bit stressed with it being her first litter. Make sure she is eating well. I usually offer dried grass after them giving birth as they use the hay for their nests. and veg they will usually eat all that first before pellets and teh more she is eating the better the chance of milk is.

Yeah, shes eating and drinking lots....felt the teats but Im not a pro yet so Im not sure about what Im feeling....I tried to squeeze a little and see what happens and she did have some sort of clearish liquid. She wont really let me get close to her belly...she freaks out. On a funny note...I did wipe the babies down because I dont think shes doing it and the both squirted pee all over me....almost hit my mouth actually because I wasnt expecting it to shoot out that far. Im glad he/she was relieved though. :headsmack

LOL sounds like a couple of bucks there then :pbucks wee can go for miles nearly been hit in the eye a few times doe's dribble so I have heard (does seem to work with ours though!) i do know sometimes the teats can be a little bit blocked so they need to turbo suck ( as my husband says) to clear the teats for the milk to flow freely

glad she is eating and drinking so well though thats a good sign its usually when the doe is to tired that she doesnt take care of the litter. keep trying :hug:

Ya know...I just realized that I am talking to someone from Scotland. That is awsome!I have always wanted to move there...or Ireland. One of these days I keep saying.:biggrin2:Thanks for your support. Everyone!:wave:

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
whaleyk98 wrote:
Its kind of like the skin was peeled away...like a large scratch. I think she did it when she was taking the sac off. Maybe a bite mark? Ill clean it and try a dab of superglue to keep it shut, thanks.

Superglue!?! I really hope you were joking when you mentioned that! Definitley don't use superglue to hold it shut! If you just clean it, it should be fine. ;)

Emily

In gaping serious wounds that probably won't close correctly on their own, a dab of super glue works well as a suture. I've heard this suggested on both my rabbit vet and breeder mailing lists. My personal vet has also used it to close wounds for very small mammals including one of my own animals.

Hey guys...how doI post a pic on here? I took pics of the babie's bellies and I want to show everyone...theyre from a camera phone so they are not great but you can see it. ....wait...let me try something....did that work???
download

I had checked on them this morning and momma had fixed the nest and pulled more fur. They were all covered up under it. I take the babied out and set them on the couch and they run around ( well...squirm-run,lol) like crazy. Im still unsure though...I think its because I dont actually see the milk in their tummies....they are not really round either......Ill post more pics in a minute or two....

It looks like a butterfly across his/her face:hearts...Ineed to get a better camera,lol. I think he/she is broken blue. Looks really dark in the pic but its really not.

download

I'm chatting with Whaley and she emailed me one of the photos. Here it is. Everyone say awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! with me! hehe

baby_rabbit.jpg
look at the wittle nose!

Minda

I just wanted to update everyone on the babies. They are still alive and Im assuming that momma is feeding them even though I can't tell that she is. She pulls more fur and fixes the nest every night when everyone is in bed and today she actually got defensive about me taking the nestbox out to check them. I guess thats a good sign. I suppose Im just going to have a lets wait and see approach....she had them on the third...wouldnt something have happened by now if they werent being fed? Maybe Im just being a little too optimistic? But like I said...everything is looking alright so far. Keep your fingers crossed!:biggrin2:

If you are really worried, you can hold her down and take the nestbox out to check. Yes, she might object, but she isn't going to abandon her babies because of your touching them. She'll just "clean them up" and fix the nest again...

I would definately check them at least once every other day. You need to know if any pass away or if there are any problems.

Dont worry...I do check them everyday. Yesterday was just the first day that she actually defended the nest. I thought that was an improvement because before she just didnt care. I take them out and check them over and hold them everyday. I checked this morning and everything is still ok. So far so good everyone.:biggrin2::highfive:

Latest posts

Back