Need Reassurance!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hi

Well I made the appointment today for July 29 to have both Tiny and Embry fixed. I am so worried that something will happen to them during surgery! I know it is in their best interest to have the surgery but I still worry.

I am doing the right thing right??

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

I believe you made the right choice. There have been advances in administering anesthesia to rabbits. If you have concerns it would best to speak to the vetperformingthe surgery and ask questions.

The vet who is doing the operations, are the ones who do all the spays and neuters for the SPCA in the area. I called the SPCA because I figured who the used would have a lot of experience with spays and neuters. I have a dog to get fixed as well and I will worry about him too, it is just always a worry when they go through surgery.

I've seen/heard about more issues with female buns and uterine cancer than spay problems. I was very very nervous when I took Pipp in, my first bunny, after the first vet told me it was best to have them in their natural state and that the anesthetic was a risk.

It turned out that vet didn't treat hardly any rabbits and always talked people out of spays and neuters so there was no success rate one way or the other.

Then I found a rabbit vet and asked how many they had lost during surgery and it was "three old and sick ones out of 'zillions'".

Its tough to have any pet operated on and see them in pain, but its as safe as any surgery and the instances of uterine tumours really make it the best choice by far.

sas :clover:

any surgery carries a certain amount of risk. That said, I believe it is the right choice for many reasons. So far, we've had 14 females and 13 males done--the only problem we had was one took out most of her stitches. She is one very expensive bunny.

I just brought back both my boys a couple hours ago from thier surgery.

One of my buns is acting completley normal..like nothing happend.

My other bun seems groggy and tired, but okay.

It is really scary..in fact I am still scared of something happening.

But in the end it is really worth it!

You know... I feared it forever and didn't trust the vets around to have my Wiggles sayed at the time. I will never forget the day she needed an emergency hysterectomy because the vet thought it could be cancer (thankfully it wasn't). I now know that the risk is much less than the chance of cancer so I will be taking that risk time and time again. There is always a risk with surgery and it's often out of our control once we leave them at the vet's but it is worth it. I wouldn't change my mind about that. Plus, you seem to have a good vet there so the risk is substantially minimized.

Hope all goes smoothly!:pray:

Thank you guys you are making me feel better especially hearing success stories. I have had males done before but I have not had a female done.

I wanted to add... Wiggles was almost (or was) 5 when she was spayed AND she was very ill when it happened. She got through it just fine :)

It will all be ok :hug: Just be sure to get plenty of effective pain meds (tramadol would be great, metacam, meh.)

Your girl will probably be a bit high on the injected drug when she comes home... be sure to get her pain meds into her as soon as she starts coming down.
A warmed rice sock will also make her feel better.

Noserubs to your buns! I'm sure they will both come through with flying colours :)

Back