need medical help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlcbunnies

Reaction score
Looking for any info or advice on caring,treatment or cause of paralysis in rabbit. 2 year old doe has had 3successful litters, last litter was 6 wks ago. Doe became paralyzed inback end. Unable to move one back leg, slight movement in other backleg, also has a soft, slightly moveable lump on chest not mastisis.This lump may be unrelated to paralysis. Using a sling type support inorder to keep her from dragging back end. Seems to be helping stillhaving problems with urine burn but continueing to clean and keepcovered with ointment. Looking for any advice or help.

tlc,

I responded to your PM, then read this post for more info.I'm getting ready to go to bed, so will get some detailed info to youtomorrow on suggested treatments.

Pam

tcl,

This link has some extensive infohttp://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

Your rabbit has a number of health issues that are most likelychronic/terminal. I think at this point, the priority is hercomfort and pain management. Any number of things could becausing her illness including internal pasteurella abcesses, parasites,cancer or a combination of problems along with Spondylosis(Arthritis). It sounds like her kidneys may also beeffected. It's impossible to guess without taking her to thevet to run some tests and narrow down the list of possibilities todefine treatment. Bloodwork is in order and w-rays would beneeded to diagnose the cause of the paralysis.

Aspirin or Ibuprofen can be given to ease pain and as ananti-inflammatory.(Your vet may prescribe dex orprednisone). You will need to keep her clean andapply an antibacterial ointment to prevent urine scald.

Also keep her confined to a small area using blankets or hay to keepher less active until the problem is diagnosed.Once the problem is diagnoses, she may require excercise (such as inthe case of arthritis).

Is the doe overweight? This can be an issue in cases of arthritis.

The above are just some guesses and suggestions -- she really need toget to the vet for a professional diagnosis and proper treatment.

Pam

Latest posts

Back