Need Info on Post-Op Pain Killers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
We were discussing in another thread the need for painkillers for post-op bunnies (such as spays). Another vet didnt give a bunny any pain meds after a spay even though the owner asked. This is happening far too often and vets arent easily convinced.

Does anyone have any articles from accredited sources on why rabbits need pain meds after surgery? It would be good to have this on hand for people to show their vets.

Many vets use a painkiller right after surgery, which gets through the worst of the post-op pain, which is why they don't send the rabbits home with a painkiller. I know some vets dispense Metacam like candy, but some are a little more wary of it.....

Vets prefer different things. When you start dispensing painkiller drugs out to people who are possibly less-than-saavy, it doesn't fair well.

It's a matter of preference.

Just my two cents here....

This is just a personal observation that is based on my interactions with many vets. There are some that are just of the mind set that rabbits don't feel pain and should not need an analgesic. We all know this to be inaccurrate. Many of them are going to be difficult to convince. An additional side note on this...female vets seem to be much more open to new ideas than male vets. But back to my point....all of my vets are quick to pull the trigger on pain meds....they understand the stresses pain puts on rabbits. My primary doctor just shakes her head in disbelief when I mention most vets prescribe Metacam post-op. All the vets around here believe in appropriate pain management.

Since it is going to be hard to change the mind set of many vets with a printed article....I suggestpresenting them with a far more convincing argument...the almighty dollar. I think the printed article should be a good back up point....but as I have mentioned in numeorous threads....ask questions before the surgery. I think a much broader approach in the form of a questionaire for rabbit slaves to ask the doctors before letting their rabbit be treated would be a good idea. Questions we take for granted...the newbie rabbit slave might not know about. A few of the topics could ask the doctor about pre-op fasting, anesthesia, pre and post op pain management and about the number of rabbits treated and the success rate. Ask for client references. I answer questions for clients often regarding our doctors. A reputable doctor will have no problem with these questions. I think this would open the eyes of some stubborn doctors and if nothing else, will show that the person is serious about having high quality treatment for their rabbit. And if the questions are answered incorrectly by the doctor....find one that has the right answers. What better "on the job" training? That should provide incentive for additional training. Those incorrect answers to my questions just cost this clinic a client. As all of you know....I have the utmost respect for most doctors. But as with anything rabbit...whether it be doctors, support staff, breeders, rescuers or whatever...there are some "not so good" ones. Since the rabbit can't ask these questions themselves...as their custodians, it is our responsibility to ask for them and get the right answers. As one of the SPCA slogans states...."We are their voice". We all know the right answers...and I, for one, would never allow my rabbit to go without pain meds after surgery or any injury. I would suggest the questionaire method...I think it would carry some weight especially when back up by the articles mentioned by seniorcats.

Randy

Not to sidetrack here, but would anyone have any articles/printed info on why a rabbit doesn't need to fast before surgery? The techs at my vet still tell me to do so, I jsut have been feeding bunnies before surgery without telling them I am doing it. I like Dr Drake, and I am hoping I can train him up a little when it comes to the bunnies. ;)

Just found a very interesting page....and it has a list of questions to ask avet. The only real addition I would like to add is concerning pain meds. We have used them all. Butorphenol is an excellent analgesic but it very short lived. We prefer Buprenorphine (Buprenex) as it is very effective and lasts for about 12 hours. We use it on both domestics and cottontails. But check out this link.

http://www.rabbitresource.org/library/health/surgery.html

Randy

Sas, those links dont have any on actual written documentation on why rabbits need pain meds post op. Ive looked through them.

I still have to check some of the links posted herebut I was hoping to find something by a knowledgable rabbit-savvyvet stating why pain meds are needed beyond the shot they give the day of surgery.

To me, theres no reason a girl should be sent home without at least minimal pain meds. That shot does not last as long as many vets think it does. I would like to remove their uterus and send them home with nothing.

Oh sorry, just meant that the link Randy posted is in our Library along with a list of questions and other links. It doesn't adequately cover pain meds IMO, though.

I didn't look at it too closely, but if it didn't get lost in the forum move, there isa post or write-upusing a version of your quote: I would like to remove their uterus and send them home with nothing. :biggrin2: Imade a point of including it!

Can't look right now, but there is/wasalso a detailed Library sectionon Pain Management,tho it may also have gotten lost, too. I do have a copy --I think.

But again, I'm sure it's not as detailed or assertive as it should be, so looking forward to adding the results of your query!

sas :D

(EDIT: Added the quote, sorry again!)

Pipp wrote:
Can't look right now, but there is/wasalso a detailed Library sectionon Pain Management,tho it may also have gotten lost, too. I do have a copy --I think.

But again, I'm sure it's not as detailed or assertive as it should be, so looking forward to adding the results of your query!
Gotcha- I just wanted to be sure you knew I wasnt just ignoring the Library and looking for people to do more work for nothing :)

The thread is here and it has those articles Ann posted above: Pain Management

Those articlesare helpful, but still dont give us any fuel for if a vet tells you the shot is enough. So many girls need 2-3 days of pain management. Anyone who does rescue and sees multiple spays will tell you that the girls recover much faster and easier when on at least minimal pain meds 2-3 days after surgery.

When Pipp was spayed, they gave her the '24 hour' shot and that was it. :(

They said if she didn't eat in 24 hours to bring her in. Well, 23 hours later she was looking just awful! It was so hard to see her like that.

She finally started to sniff at food 30 minutes later, but was definitely in BAD pain for the next 24 hours.

Criminal, really. :tears2:

I really think we need all the questionaires and articles we can get, thanks for doing this!

sas:goodjob

Randy, I've read that article before, and I'm almost positive it was in a magazine for veterinarians.

Aww, all this fuss for our little Bennie.

Honestly, Bennie was eating right after surgery and walking around and being a goofball and even jumping. She did not seem like she was in pain. A day later she was even more active and eating. Her poops are solid and she's as active as she was before surgery.

I really think it does come down to the vet IMHO. Maybe some vets are not as skilled as others and know the most painless proceedures. BTW, my vet is a female and she didn't give anything past a 24 hour shot. :)

Chris

I think it has something to do with the individual rabbit's pain threshold, as I believe Randy said. All of mine go to the same vet, and I have had varied reactions too. There will be some who can barely wait until they are home to dig in and get back to eating, and then there will be some who you have to coax to eat, pain meds or no.

Latest posts

Back