Need housing ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
Lucy has this huge three level nic condo that takes up a large area in our living room. She has free run of that room so really in the grand scheme of things she's not really in the condo all that much so my husband is asking why we need to have it. I am trying to think of something that we could use to hold her litter boxes ( one for hay, one for food bowl) and her water, that looks more like a piece of furniture than a cage. I know I have heard of others who don't have cages but what do you do with their stuff?

Joy

My boyfriend brings this up with me about how the NIC cages don't complement the decor the way he would like. He is moving towards building a very deep bookcase/TV cabinet hybrid with wire-screen doors for the buns. With a number of shelves, would be a number of levels: Basically, the NIC condo in the vertical.

Fran (pinksalamander) built a really cute Rose cottage for her buns. Maybe you could adapt her work? PM her and ask for some design help; she's great at drafting!
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=39288&forum_id=5&highlight=rose+cottage

Hi Joy :)

My bunnies are free range and they don't have cages. All I have are 2 large litter boxes (1 for each bunny, but sometimes they both like to squeeze together into one box :biggrin2:).

I don't have many pics here (not using my personal computer now), but in this pic, you can see the white litter box in front of the bunnies:

dsc_4593fb1.jpg

The box is large enough for me to put their water bowl, food bowl and hay.. everything goes in it, lol..

DSC00828.jpg

Do you need to have a cage? If you dont and the room is bun-safe then you can leave her out and just put out a litter box, if you need a cage then you can use a dog crate or get a "sideboard " (them cupboard kind of things you use in living/dining rooms), put a coroplast bottom in it and leave the door open, if you need to you can make a "slot in" mesh door for when she needs to be shut away and use that for litter pans, water, food etc.

Thanks everybody, I haven't decided what I want to do, every time I think we can probably take her cage down I find her perched up on the top level surveying her domain. I want to have something for her to go into but the three level NIC is just so big and it doesn't look all that nice. Designer NIC grids is what we need, and some solid pieces to use as the bottom level so that the litter boxes and messiness don't show. I'm still thinking, any ideas are welcome!

Joy

I believe Ali (JadeIcing) has some grids that have a tighter mesh that you can't see through as much? I could be wrong, but I know you can definately buy them from somewhere.... Maybe they would work on the bottom to hide the mess?

Maybe you could also make her a small 3-storey cage, just 2 grids wide or something? It wouldn't need to be as spacious if she's free-range, but she could still go in it to climb up to the top and 'survey her nation' :p

Latest posts

Back