Need help with potential problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vet taught me an awesome way to palp, I can't do the one I've seen online where the rabbit is basically on a table in their normal on all 4's position..but the way I was taughtI've becomeVERY accurate!! Its actually kinda a neat process to be able to feel them...

I do believe tho as stated, some people can and some can't...not sure why.....I do know some of my 4h'rs are scared they will hurt something and prolly aren't feeling quite firmly enuff!

bunnybunbunb wrote:
I HAVE had a doe have a double pregnancy. It IS possible. Mind had a horrible outcome. I didn't know she had bred so I bred her to a buck a week later. She had 5 babies(the last breeding) the day the first ones was due. She didn't nest but I did for her. Next day I went to check and there was 4 dead babies(1 of the early breeding and 3 of the ones that was full term). She raised 2 of the week early babies. When they started dieing off till the 2 I fostered them to a doe with 2 older babies. The two babies from the double pregnancy was just to small. One mad it till 2 weeks and the other 4 weeks. At 4 weeks it was the size of a 2 week old. They was NOT peanuts.

The information you have provided does not prove that your doecarried 2 separate litters.

There are many cases of the same litter being born days apart. We had a Netherland Dwarf doe bred to 1 buck only one time. The 2 babies were born 4 days apart (both survived).

There are well over 300 different known genes for Dwarfism - not all of them are fatal.

Pam

About humans having double pregnancies - there was an episode on Grey's Anatomy about it. Wife cheated on husband, and was having two different pregnancies with two different fathers.

I don't know anything about breeding, Peg, but I hope it turns out well for you in the end - and that your poor girl isn't having a double pregnancy.

Edit: What does palpate mean? :biggrin2:

There was a real family on tv one time - lady got preggers 1 white baby, 1 black - twins - freaky! They were from in-vitro fertilization where the doc's didn't use clean equipment and ended up with 2 pregnancies.

However, it can happen naturally also, and has.

palpate is basically to feel around.

Well then.. I am going to go Palpate around in the fridge for some yogurt and then go check the barn and see if I have any new litters..

GoinBackToCali wrote:
Well then.. I am going to go Palpate around in the fridge for some yogurt and then go check the barn and see if I have any new litters..
lmao silly zin

Bo B Bunny wrote:
There was a real family on tv one time - lady got preggers 1 white baby, 1 black - twins - freaky! They were from in-vitro fertilization where the doc's didn't use clean equipment and ended up with 2 pregnancies.

However, it can happen naturally also, and has.

palpate is basically to feel around.

I wanted to clarify that superfoetation (also spelled superfetation)is the term used for twodistinctly separate gestation periods from eggs released at different times as opposed to eggs released at the same time being fertilized by sperm from separate matings by one or more males (superfecundation).

Superfoetation is very difficult to prove if the doe has been mated more than one time. As in the case that I had, the doe was only mated once by one male, so the kits being born 4 days apart were known not to be 2 separate litters. I've had does deliver as far as ten days apart from a single mating (although none of those kits survived). People often assume that these cases are the result of two separate litters conceived at separation ovulations.

Kits also vary widely in size, so smaller kits are sometimes mistaken as a separate litters. This is probably the case in bunnybunbunb's litter.

Pam

LOL!

I think I'm going to palpate around the truck for the steering wheel so I can drive to work..... unfortunately, I guess I have to open my eyes at some point. :caffeineThank God for Diet Coke!

Peg, not making light of your bunnies..... just goofing. I hope all is ok with her. Maybe some photos of her tummy would help us determine...... :whistling

GoinBackToCali wrote:

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Pam,

In humans!? OMG, that's very strange. Do you think you can maybe dig up some links on that? Thanks

Emily

Opps - sorry Emily - I missed this post yesterday.

Here are a couple cases:

In 2007, Ame and Lia Herrity, conceived 3 weeks apart, were born in the United Kingdom to Amelia Spence and George Herrity. In May 2007, Harriet and Thomas Mullineux, also conceived 3 weeks apart, were born in Benfleet, Essex UK to Charlotte and Matt Mullineux.

This one was a hoax: Flavia d'Angelo, an Italianwoman claiming to have become pregnant with triplets three months after initially getting pregnant, caused global media interest in 2001. However, it was later revealed to be a hoax.

Pam

I think I had a doe have two seperate litters, but I'm not sure. I tried to breed her several times with no result, so I gave her a break for a few months, then tried again. Two weeks later and she's still lifting for the buck, so I bred her again. Two weeks later she had a litter of 4 healthy kits, another two weeks later she delivered 2 premature looking dead kits. I think I have a photo on the other computer. Anyway, she was perfectly fine and reared her healthy litter.

Bo B Bunny wrote:

Peg, not making light of your bunnies..... just goofing. I hope all is ok with her. Maybe some photos of her tummy would help us determine...... :whistling
She is already furious with me for taking time yesterday to check her over (three times even - once by myself - once w/ Art and once w/ Robin). I think I'll leave her be for now.

I did take pictures of her yesterday and put them in my blog....I'll let y'all know when she has her litter.

Peg

Yes - she is Saphira - I took several photos of her yesterday - I wish I could show just how pretty she is.....

No matter who she were to have babies from - I'd be thrilled. I bred her with Sting because he has the dwarfing gene and that would help bring down the size a bit. Then again - if I remember right - Recharged might carry it too. Recharged is a sable point (Sting is dark sable/seal) and her mom is a sable point.

The thing that gets me is that her nipples are really getting noticeable....

Sadly, I'm leaning more towards thinking that she has a false pregnancy from being near Recharged - which makes me wonder if she will have taken when put with Sting. I say false pregnancy because of the lack of movement or kicking.

Anyway - I think I'll try to stop speculating about it...and just post when she does have babies (if she does) here in this thread...

Here are the pictures I posted of her in my blog...

She doesn't look it in these photos - but she is actually a rich deep blue - not a black.

Peg

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Ooo she's cute! I love her face - she looks a bit cheeky!

I hope she's preggers!
Her cage just got moved to beside my desk so I can see her more and she can get more used to me. (Maachi moved out from the bedroom to a cage underneath her).

They'll get moved to mama's cages in a week or so (once the babies start getting weaned from their mamas).

She keeps looking at me as if to say "I hate you" - even if I give her food or treats. She is a total grump today.

Oh well....I love her anyway. She is very cheeky and has quite an attitude. That might be part of why I love her so much!

Peg

Well - I don't have an update saying "we have babies"....I wish I did. I think I'd feel so much better.

However - she Saphira went off her food late yesterday afternoon. She's drinking lots of water (not an overly large amount - but she is still drinking). She chews on her hay a bit and stares at me (she's in my office right near my desk and I've covered her cage so it is darker for her).

I'm trying to remember how long a doe can go off her feed before delivering - I knew some does would go off the day before - but what about 48 hours? Trying to figure out at what point I'll be concerned.

I can sit here and watch her stomach move and while I still can't feel kicks if I hold her (other than her wanting to kick me) - I can feel movement in her tummy area.

Right now she just looks at me like its all MY fault she feels miserable and grumpy.

Peg

Bo B Bunny wrote:
LOL! She's probably looking at you thinking "WHAT is she looking at!?"
I'm waiting for her to attack me the next time I open her cage and put my hand in.

She does NOT want me checking her over at all - she does NOT want to be held - she does not want love - she wants me to GO AWAY....like now...like yesterday.

The funny thing is - she'll be sitting in her cage and I walk in the room and she sits up and at attention at her door - as if to say, "Don't you open it. Don't you look at me. Don't you sit down at that desk...you leave the room.."

She sorta reminds me of Zin's quote which I'll probably mangle greatly - but something along the lines of "the next time you're passing by this area - feel free to pass on by...".

She does not appear to be in labor or anything and she looks at her hay and stuff and looks at me as if to say, "What the hay did you put that hay in here for?"

I just turned to peek at her while I was writing this - she was scratching her ear and she put down her foot and looked at me (wiggling her nose the whole time) and then almost acted like she was gonna charge the door if I dared to think about opening it.

I'm gonna do a bit more research to see how long she can be off her food (I'm really not too worried right now)...

Peg

Latest posts

Back