Need help with discipline!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1487

Reaction score
We all love our rabbits, but from time to time I'm sure they've all done something bad.

Skippy's got a problem, he misbehaves constantly almost. I let him outof his cage, and he goes sniffin for wires, I've blocked most of themoff sohe can't get to them. But, he still tries. He gets onmy funiture when he knows better. Chews on my clothing, and will try tosit in my lap, and when he does he bites at me.

He was just neutered, so I know his hormones are still present becausehe still tries to mount things, but I understand it takes awhile for the hormones to calm down.

But, I can't figure out a way to make him understand no means no. Itell him no, in a deeper louder tone, I have tapped him on the nose acouple of times just to where he stops for a minute. I put him back inhis cage after he does something he knows he shouldn't. But, even then,he still misbehaves. Anything I can do?

We use a squirt bottle for the really badthings. Our buns perk up and run when we pick itup. they know better then to go against the bottle.They will run to a corner and sit there grooming every last drop ofwater off themselves after being squirted.

Spritz with the water bottle work very well withDevon and Amber. All I have to do now is spray a hard surface, like thecage floor, to get them to stop (the noise is all they need). I don'teven have to spray them directly to get them to stop:)

:nonoI often clap my hands and say no sternly.One book said put 2 or 3 coins in a can and shake it when they dosomething to get their attention. After 3 times correcting her on thesame thing, I put her in a time out in her cage for 10min. Itseems to help both of us relax. Of course she turns her butt to me, butis always willing to come back out afterward.

I have covered our cords with critter cord from rabbit stop.You can use ivory soap on some of the surfaces they chew. You could putplastic on your bed if they jump up there, that deters them, or it didmine. It sounds mean but, its not when they urinate on there.I have heard they don't like strong odors so maybe a perfume orsomething on the couch, febreeze??
As far as the biting when he is on your lap, if you screechwhen he does it he will realize it hurts maybe he does not know ithurts. It may take a few times for him to get the idea.
good luck.:hug2 ... we have all been there. There was a thread on hereawhile ago about what your rabbit does but you love them anyway andsomeone said it all when they said we get mad at them, but 5 min laterthey are sooo cute.

oh and redirection helps too, give him a toy he is allowed to playwith.. or move him from the couch to a cardboard box with paper, orbasket(untreated) with hay or shredded paper in it.

Aside from the water bottle, I've found thatgently pressing their head down helps. This is one way thatrabbits show dominance over each other. Loki absolutely hatesit, and he's usually the one I need to do it to because even withsquirting water he would still break rules like carpet chewing onpurpose in full sight of me. He did learn though. Iknow you didn't know Buck Jones, buthe talked about it a lotandcalled it being the Big Kahuna Bunny.:)

There's no good way to stop the hormonal issues other than time,though. It also sounds like he's learned that being naughtygets him attention.

Back