Need help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenson

Reaction score
My Rex girl had her first litter on Saturday (she's 6 months old), there were no problems and she's been eating and drinking normally. However, just now I noticed a bloody mass in her cage, I had a look at it and it just seems to be gooey blood. I have never seen this happen with my other doe's so I'm worried. Is this normal? She also wanted to eat it, so I'm wondering if maybe this has happened to my other doe's but they ate it before I found it? She seems normal, her usual happy self. Do I need to worry?
Thanks.

Hopefully a breeder will see this soon, but from what I can remember its the afterbirth or placenta or something and theyre supposed to eat it.

Did you check her down below to be sure shes not bleeding?

Thanks Haley, that's what I thought, I just needed to make sure! I would've thought it would have been passed sooner. It's easy to panic when you see a lump of blood, hehe.

And yeah, she's not bleeding.

Hi,

I'm not too sure weather this could just be some after birth she never got rid of on saturday?

How many kits did she have?

And have you looked to see if there was anymore?

I am not exactly the best person to be replying to you bt it could well be the case.

Given the fact she wants to eat it, it probably is afterbirth, check for stuck kits. I don't know wether she would have anymore in there because labour is fairly quick 15-20 minutes.

Thats all I can really offer you but hopeflly more expierenced members will be along shortly to help you out.

Heather

She had 6, all healthy and she had no problems during the birth. She's being a great mom too!

If she had a stuck kit wouldn't she have gone off color? I'll try and check, but I'm not very confident I'd find it, I don't like prodding them about!

Thanks for your help!

Lol No Problem :)

I am not too confident in my abilities either, Fingers crossed I have never had to check for a stuck kit and hopefully not in the weeks to come either ;)

If she had a stuck kit I am sure she would have been uncomfortable in some way and ecspeacially since she had her kits on saturday.

I bet it was just a bit of afterbirth or placenta or something just emptying thoroughly(Sp) from her body.

Bet it's nothing serious, but I know what you mean about the blood...Yo see it and you freak! Was a bit like me last week my preggy bunny had a bit of blood and I paniced outcome was nothing to worry about.

Natural reactions I guess lol

Heather

The afterbirth Wildfire had kind of looked like a chunk of raw liver. It was about 1.5 inches in diameter. She at three and left two for me to clean up...

Was this right after she'd given birth? If it was, I would imagine it was a placenta. Especially since she wanted to eat it.

--Dawn

aurora, it also looked like raw liver and it was about the same size, but she had her kits on Saturday and passed the bloody mess today. That's what worried me, I thought it would have passed sooner. She's still acting completely normal though, and she isn't bleeding. Hopefully that's all it was!

I agree that it is a normal part of a doe kindling. It's a bit odd to see it a couple days after the birth. As long as she remains alert and eating/drinking/pooping normally, I would think she's fine. There can be problems when they don't expell the placenta and it begins to decay inside them, but it's not that common.

Congrat's on the new litter!!

Thanks clarzoo, yeah that's why I got worried, I thought it would have come out sooner. But yeah, she's her usual happy self and she's being a great mum!

And thanks, I was so excited about this litter, waiting for them to born seemed to take forever! :D

Latest posts

Back