Need help now!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty

Reaction score
I have a friend with a lop and for some reason he is just sitting in his litter box not moving when usually he is super excited. He is grinding his teeth and his stomach is hard. Is this GIT stasis? She is calling a vet right now and I am at school so I am sending her any information via text or phone if I have to. Is there anything we can do before he gets into the vet?

My first line of defense is simethicone and tummy rubs. If it is just gas, this will take care of it in a few hours. If the simethicone doesn't work, a vet visit is in order.

it sounds like gas but if the bun has not been pooping and eating probably is gas produced by stasis.
In addition to the simethicone and bunny tummy rubs make sure the rabbbit can run around and get things moving

Rusty wrote:
So is it gas or stasis or something else?

thank you btw.
It could be gas, stasis or bloat. It is hard to say. That is one reason why we normally suggest going with the baby gas meds first (simethicone) - I do one dose every hour for the first three hours.

You may want to visit our library to read about this - the link is here:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10

Here is some information from that link:

What is it?

Bloat: [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]From: http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.html[/font]

Having cared for many rabbits through the years, I have witnessed GI Stasis and Bloat. There are subtle differences between the two conditions, but prompt recognition and treatment determine the outcome. Whereas GI Stasis has a prognosis of fair to good, the prognosis for bloat is poor to guarded. Unlike GI Stasis, bloat happens suddenly and without warning. One minute your bun is eating, drinking, eliminating, and playing normally, the next minute he is depressed, moribund, and stops eating, drinking, and playing. Just like that. A bunny rapidly decompensates with bloat, and immediate veterinary intervention is crucial to his survival.

Gas: From: http://www.ontariorabbits.org/hot_topics/hint_9.html

Rabbits can - and do - suffer from gas. If ignored, painful gas can cause a rabbit to stop eating and go into gastrointestinal stasis, the slowing or complete cessation of normal intestinal movement. This can be fatal if not treated. Gas can also be the result of stasis.
Rabbits that have gas often exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: loud gurgling noises coming from the rabbit's stomach; hard, taut stomach; lethargy; and significant decrease in appetite. Often, this is the first sign of gas. When suffering from gas, some rabbits sit hunched up, with their eyes partially closed, some will sit with their stomachs pressed into the floor, or upright with an unnaturally straight posture.

Important: Gastric Dilation (Volvulus) or severe 'bloat' is not the same as a gas episode. With bloat, the stomach becomes extremely hard and grossly distended which can cause the blood supply to be cut off from the stomach or intestine. Bloat can quickly lead to shock and death. If you suspect bloat, do not massage the rabbit's abdomen, which could make the situation worse. Seek immediate veterinarian attention.

Please note that bloat and gas are NOT the same thing - that's why I put some of it in red.

Thanks for replying guys. Unfortunately my friend's sister was stupid and decided to euthanize him because he had to have a surgery that would cost $400 that he would have pulled through. :banghead

HI, what kind of surgery would it have been? Unfortunately most rabbits do not do well at all with stomach or intestinal surgery. If that was the only route that could be taken, the outcome would have been poor at best as he likely would have had future problems. RIP little guy, I am sure it was a tough choice to make.

Rusty wrote:
Thanks for replying guys. Unfortunately my friend's sister was stupid and decided to euthanize him because he had to have a surgery that would cost $400 that he would have pulled through. :banghead

Back