Need help identifying greens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryes

Reaction score
I try to feed my rabbits dandelions every couple of days as long as I can find them in my yard. There is another broad leaf plant that usually grows among the dandelions. I've let the rabbits try them and they eat them as good as the dandelions. Could anyone identify this other plant and let me know if it's ok to feed them to my rabbits? Would it be ok to feed them just these if I can't find dandelions (they are more plentiful)?

Attachments

• greens.jpg
    greens.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The thing with dandelion is that the leaf shape can vary a lot within a population. If it tastes different (Yes, take a bite of each and chew it) it could be some kind of sorrel, although it looks different to what grows over here, the leafs look thinner and smoother. Sorrel is not good rabbit food (oxalates).
Another thing that comes to mind some kind of mustard, that would have a quite distictive, spicy taste.

But I'm far, far away, so better if people closer to your location chime in :).

DON’T TRY IT!!! You never know what it could be. Don’t feed it to them because you do not know what it is.

The thing with dandelion is that the leaf shape can vary a lot within a population. If it tastes different (Yes, take a bite of each and chew it) it could be some kind of sorrel, although it looks different to what grows over here, the leafs look thinner and smoother. Sorrel is not good rabbit food (oxalates).
Another thing that comes to mind some kind of mustard, that would have a quite distictive, spicy taste.

But I'm far, far away, so better if people closer to your location chime in :).
I've looked through a couple of publications on weeds in Arkansas. I can't find one that looks like this yet. There are a few sorrels in Arkansas but they don't look like what I have in my yard. I tried both the dandelion (never tried it before) and the mystery plant. The mystery plant is a little more bitter.

is it dock leaf, I don't know if USA has dock leaf, but it almost looks like it. I wouldn't feed it to your Bun though till you know for sure what it is.

If it is dock leaf you can feed them to your bun in small amounts, but if they have started going to seed with the little purple colorations on them, stay away from them, as they can be very toxic for the rabbit

is it dock leaf, I don't know if USA has dock leaf, but it almost looks like it. I wouldn't feed it to your Bun though till you know for sure what it is.

If it is dock leaf you can feed them to your bun in small amounts, but if they have started going to seed with the little purple colorations on them, stay away from them, as they can be very toxic for the rabbit
I will look that up and see. Thanks for the info.

Back