Need help finding a home- military deployment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
My two bunnies have been with us for a year and a half. My husband received orders to Japan last September and is currently over there now. I will be joining him in a few months and I just can't justify putting the bunnies through the stress of flying there, especially with the quarantine that all pets have to go through. I've put it off as long as I can because I can't imagine letting my babies go, but I need to find them a good home before the New Years. Reddit is a 8lb female (fixed) 19-20 months old. Demetri is a month younger then her and is also fixed. They just had a vet appointment in July and are very healthy, no teeth problems etc. (a little chubby but still healthy). I need a little help in finding them a good home where they won't be stuck in a store cage all day. They have a large NIC cage with several hours of free access to our closed in porch now. I live in the NorthEast region of the US, in New York and also have a family home in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know of a good shelter or refuge in these areas. One I can trust them with my rabbits? Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated. Thank you

I come from a military family. Dad retired after 20+ years of military service in the army. So my heart goes out to you with having to find a new home for your bunnies. I so wish I could help. Only once did we travel with a pet, it was a male Siamese cat. The quarantine was long & he had to be in a tiny cage during the quarantine (I was a child but had I known what he would go through I would have found him another home rather than having him move with us.) Anyway, I hope & pray that you will soon find your two buns a wonderful family to give them the home you would like for them. Best wishes to you as you travel to be with your hubby in Japan.

Have you looked into taking your bunny with you? It looks like you would need a government health certificate (from the US) and the rabbit would be inspected and quarantined. If the rabbit has no health issues quarantine is only 3 days. This includes the day you arrive and the day you pick up the rabbit. That's a pretty short time compared to entering some other countries.

im_rabbits02.gif
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/qanda/qan10.html

Of course, in the end you must do what's best for them. I just wasn't sure if you'd looked in to it. :)

Best of luck!

If the rabbits see a military vet they get an FDA stamp meaning they shouldnt have to go through quarantine. Finding a non-military vet who can give you the FDA stamp is a headache.

Mind you I'm Army and my experience is with Germany and Korea. Hell in Germany no one even looked twice at my animals.

i did look into taking them with us. But I would probably be coming home for 2-3 months out of the year. With all the traveling I don't think it would work out very well. And I don't know how everyone elses buns are but mine HATE travel and any type of change. I figured it would be best to find them a good, stable home with loving people

If only you were in Michigan and If I had cage space I would help! But we just took in a new bun (well only until the new family picks it up)

Latest posts

Back