Need help. Confused.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a year old bunny, named Oreo. He's a Dutch mix. He was A-ok, but since two days he's chewing air at times (looks like aligning his jaw or something), and making wet food noise like slurps even though he's nowhere near water or wet food. He isn't drooling, I checked. He's behaving normally otherwise. Eating hay, chewing cardboard boxes, chomping down his greens. I took him to the vet, they couldn't find anything wrong with him. I'm confused as to what could it be?

Hello, This does seem weird. If the vet could not find anything wrong and if he is eating and drinking normally as well as going to the bathroom normally I would say he is fine. It sounds like he could eating his cecotrope which is where they reach down to their private area and eat something that looks like a cluster of smaller pieces of poop and it does make that sound. So if you notice him reaching in that area and then making that sound it very well could be that.

Hello, This does seem weird. If the vet could not find anything wrong and if he is eating and drinking normally as well as going to the bathroom normally I would say he is fine. It sounds like he could eating his cecotrope which is where they reach down to their private area and eat something that looks like a cluster of smaller pieces of poop and it does make that sound. So if you notice him reaching in that area and then making that sound it very well could be that.
I did check for that, but no. It isn't cecotropes. It looks like he's readjusting his jaw. There's some drool now.

I would take him to the vet again, possibly another vet and have the inside of his mouth checked. An xray, ultrasound also if necessary.

I would take him to the vet again, possibly another vet and have the inside of his mouth checked. An xray, ultrasound also if necessary.
I'm monitoring him for now. Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. He's not drooling right now. It comes and goes it seems. He's behaving normally otherwise. Grooming, eating, running.

Back