Need help, advice, reassurance!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I apologise for not introducing myself first but I need help. I have four bunnies (not bonded), started a job this year (and will finish it this year too) that is taking up ALL of my time and have just decided to separate from my husband 3 weeks ago. I am feeling extremely overwhelmed and just need advice. My dilemma is that I need to sell my house and move out, but I have bunnies in all rooms of the house! I've tried bonding the first 2 but they keep fighting and I keep giving up because it is so scary.One always grooms the otherthrough partitions but as soon as they're together they fight, even thought the territory is neutral. The other two have just joined me this year, both were found and brought to me and I had to keep them! ;)My question is should I try and bond some of the others and leave the fighting bunnies for a time I'm feeling less stressed, or will that ruin anything that may have been achieved so far? They are all boys and they are all neutered. My other question is, could I put them altogether in a room divided four ways or will that just send them all nuts? Also, if I did have them altogether in a room and decided to persist with the two fighting bunnieswill it make it harder for them to bond? My bunnies are my life and it breaks my heart to see them all living separately. The two bunnies that fight do live side by side in a room divided, and they often lie side by side, but as soon as I try to bond them, they fight. The other two are alone in separate rooms. One more question, moving them to the same room would mean their living spaces would be smaller, but would that be ok because they would have the company of the other bunnies? Any advice would be really appreciated. Also, anysuggestions on Elvis or Gritz's breed would be great too! Here are my big eared, bucky toothed children:

Binky (wild rabbit, found on a busy highway in 2005):

DSC00156.jpg

Casper (giant flemish/lop cross, joined me in 2006):

Casper8.jpg

Elvis (havana cross...maybe?, found on a footpath April 2007):

DSC00303.jpg

Gritz (cross/cross???, found in a child care centre yard last week):

Gritz1.jpg

Hi there.

I dont have much experience with bonding as i'm going through it myself very soon but i wanted to say well done for taking those bunnies in - they are all beautiful :D

I have heard males are harder to bond and are likely to fight. I think it is possible for males to live side by side though so that may be the best way to go. You could try bonding them on total neutral territory, but because they are boys this will take time and patience.

I have been advised to take my bunnies to a friends house and bond them there as they will not recognise any smells therefore there should be less need to fight! Is this something you would be able to do?

Alternatively, you may be able to find someone on here who lives quite close who would be willing to do the bonding for you, and maybe you could make a donation to a rescue of their choice? I have gone down this route before and it has worked perfectly.

Good luck, and keep us updated

You have come to the right place.
Welcome to RO:biggrin2:

I am so sorry to hear about your recent stresses, can't be easy for you. There are lots of members with excellent advice on bonding bunnies.
I just wanted to say hello;)
Your buns are gorgeous.

Bunnies and seperation plus selling your house seems too much right now so I would continue to try bond the bunnies that are showing promise and keep the fighting bunnies apart.
The last thing you need is a vet trip. When you move to your new house, the buns will be displaced and some of the bonding may need to be repeated. I personally don't think it is necessary to try to bond all 4 if they won't have it.
I am no expert though.

Hope I am not confusing the issue too much. Just thought it made sense to do what you can cope with and what suits the buns best until you move house.

Gorgeous bunnies! Thanks for rescuing them!

About bonding...

I'm no expert, but...

What do you mean by fighting? Are you talking some humping/grunting/chasing? Or do you mean circling and real aggression? Remember that there WILL be some humping and other similar behaviors. Bunnies do this to decide who is dominant. Of course, if they are showing signs of aggression you DO want to keep them apart.

From what I've seen: buck/doe bonds tend to be easiest and doe/doe bonds the most difficult. Since all your boys are neutered that should help. Perhaps one of them would bond better with one of the 2 you have separated. That might be worth a try. I have never tried to bond more than 1 new pair at a time...so there is probably someone else out there who can advise better.

We have a doe who does not want to be with our other doe when they are out. She IS aggressive towards that doe... But when they are "behind bars" :biggrin2:it's a different story. They will both lay against the cage bars right up against eachother. Go figure! I know that it doesn't solve your issue...but you can see that what you're going through with your 2 boys is not unusual.

I hope that the bunny bonding works out for you. Sorry to hear you are dealing with so many things at once. Wishing you well in all!

-Mary Ellen

Thank you so much for your replies! I am feeling better already!

Marach8000, I did take Binky and Casper to my mum's place to bond them and that seemed to be working until they both tried to jump through a small space, got stuck and freaked out and bit each other! My husband and I were fighting at the time (when weren't we?) and I couldn'tcontinue doing it. They seem to get along better after a car ride and Binky even groomed Casper at my mum's place after a car ride. He grooms through cage walls at home but not when they're together. I would love to have someone dothe bondingfor me, but I don't know of anyone in Sydney, Australia that does this. I've even contemplated paying for a return plane ticket to Australia for anyone wanting a holiday that wouldn't mind doing some bonding in Sydney - I'm so desperate for my boys to get along! I also thought of going overseas to see how it is done!

Lemonaxis, I think you're right about too many stresses right now! I feel as though selling my place is dependent on my rabbits being bonded and I can't wait to move out and live on my own (with my 4 furry children), so it becomes such a high stress situation for me! Who knows, when everything is calmer for me, maybe my boys will be more relaxed too? I know they pick up on my feelings because since my husband and I made the decision to separate, they have been less jumpy! I might just put them all in the same room divided into 4 areas so they can at least have each other for company, and entertainment!

Mary Ellen, I have never seen any of my boys hump at all, but this time when I tried to bond them they hop around the room and investigate, occassionally going to each other, touching noses and pulling back quickly (very cautiously). Binky seems to be trying to get out of the room, he seems quite nervous. Casper seems nervous too but will stop and eat hay at times. That was the first day after coming home from the vet (car ride) but the second day, they fought. I put them together without a car ride and they looked around the room for the first 15 minutes, then the fighting started. One would approach the other, the fur would fly, there'd be a scuffle and I'd spray them with a water pistol and they'd stop. They'd clean the water off themselves, hop around the room again, scuffles breaking out when they'd cross paths. They didn't seem to hunt the other out, just fight when they came together. I noticed Binky shoving his head under Casper's chin continually both days, even though he is the one that grooms between bars? I'd love to take them on more car rides but Binky makes it hard as I can't pick him up, I have to wrap him in a towel, and he is extremely hard to catch! I gave up after the two days as I was feeling extremely stressed about everything and felt awful about how wet they were and they looked so sad! I couldn't find any obvious bites this time, but previously when I've tried to bond them, there were bites. I just wish I knew more about this! It is interesting that your does seem to be similar to my boys!

Sorry if this is long, I just want to paint a really clear picture! On the topic of pictures, here's a few of Binky and Caspers bonding sessions at my mum's place last year:

06082006064.jpg

06082006088.jpg

06082006082.jpg

Yes, Gingivere and Emmaline are sooooo much like your boys. There are no fights between bars. And they don't hunt eachother down, either. But let them both be out and Emm get too close...and Gingivere becomes a terror! I've just had to accept the fact that Gingi might not want to be bonded with another rabbit (she was at one point, but her mate died and her personality has changed since that). Sometimes I feel badly for her...but I think she is content to have friends through the bars.

Your idea of putting all 4 boys in 1 room but separated might be worth a shot. It would allow you to observe who is getting along with whom and which 2 might bond together better. Just take things slowly. Don't feel badly if bonding takes a long time or never happens. You can't make 2 bunnies get along...just like you can't make 2 people get along. Simply enjoy your boys for who they are as individuals...then if the bonding happens it'll just make things that much sweeter. But if not, that'll be okay, too.

Keep us posted on who things are going!

-Mary Ellen

Aussie, you can't remote link from Photobucket, so your photos aren't showing up in your threads :( Can you give the link to your photo album?

Pam

Bunnicula, yes I'll definitely put them in one room separated, I'm going to set it up tonight. Thanks for your advice!

Pamnock, sorry, I'm new to the whole 'adding pictures' thing! Not sure how to do what you suggested as opposed to what I'm doing. When I have some time I'll try and figure it out. Thanks for pointing it out though!

I upload photos frommy paid site, but someone should be able to suggest a free photo storage site that allows remote linking.

Pam

You can use photobucket but you will need to use the codes :)Click on the 'insert image' icon and then insert the direct link from photobucket. You will need to paste it over the first 'http' though because the http is already included in the photobucket code :)

Yes I would agree you do have a lot of stress right now. I would wait and try bonding later when things settle down, I've been trying lately and what I have going on doesn't even come close to your situation.

I have 12 rabbits in one bedroom (moved my son out, the rabbits were alergic):D and it doesn't cause any problems. I think they will be just fine, I think my rabbits enjoy being in the same room together. I had one buck that seemed a little out of sorts when we brought him home and it was suggested we get him a stuffed rabbit. My wife found one, checked to make sure there was nothing that would come off easily and put in his cage with him. He grooms it, sleeps next to it and when he was at a show he wouldn't let go of it. So if any of your buns need companionship you could try that, worked for me.

Good Luck!

Hi Aussie Bunny Mummy,

i am one of those as well !!!!

we have 5 rabbits 4 boys and 1 girl (ignore their names we didnt no their gender when named and didnt want to change their names afterwards as they just seemed to suit them),

They are all cohabitating in one indoor/outdoor cage BUT i have ben extremely lucky my rabbits have bonded themselves really, and they all groom and seem to love each other etc etc very cute . We have had a few tense moments as 3 of the boys are teenagers and presently unneutered, personally cant wait to have them done as they are spraying and pooing a bit round the house and that is so annoying!!

i dont no any other aussies with house rabbits so am excited to hear how things go with you and your rabbits with all thats happening in your life, wishing u all th best and look forward to hearing some updates.........

Thanks for your help with the photos! An even bigger thank you for your comments on bonding!

Wabbitdad12, wow 12 rabbits in one room? That sounds crazy, and like heaven, at the same time! ;)I haven't put all my bunnies together yet but I will as soon as I get achance. Great idea about the stuffedrabbit too. All my rabbits have one. Two don't really care, one adores his and the other one grooms his but also chewed it's ears and tail off! :shock:The rabbit that loves his gives him a quick groom when he hears a noise that makes him nervous, almost like he's reassuring his friend not to be scared - very cute!

Bunny Mum, great to hear from another aussie with house rabbits! Where are you from?

Back