Need help. About ready to get rid of rabbit because of behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is the dog crate she is in? I have a 12 week old Flemish Giant (about 4-5lbs) who has an extra large (48") dog crate and has plenty of room for his big litter box, small dog crate that is used as his hidey house and sleeping place, his blanket, toys and food dishes. Yes he does have an attached x pen (36") but he is not a jumper like your girl (she sounds like a super bunny!!).

Could you possibly make her something with a grated bottom, just to give it more strength? I know money is an issue and that makes solving the issue that much tougher, which stinks. Do you have a rabbit rescue near you that could help you out with her behavior issues? I commend you for taking her in, even though you may regret that now, try to keep patient and work with her, she may turn a corner and become the best bunny ever, she just needs someone to give her a chance.

Yes, those are shelving pieces. You are observant! That was actually a very cheap cage I made from an old cabinet. I even put together a video showing how I made it (in case you need some inspiration, lol)

Do bear in mind, though, that it is rather small-ish, but it's only closed at night time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd27D9yJ2zs

How on earth did you even think to do that?!? You are extreamly creative! Those bunnies look like they love their new abode. :)

I don't ahve pictures because she tears it down far before that becomes an option, but I drew it out; http://imgur.com/08IDtJU
It's in the corner of a basement, with concrete floor and brick walls. My only materials, like I said, are the storage cubes and some heavy buckets along with twist ties to keep from it falling over.

I am trying my butt off to keep her, so I'm working on the patience thing, lol.

The crate is about the size you have your Flemish in. Maybe a touch smaller. I'm trying to attach more so she has more room, but that's the thing causing the problem, lol.

I don't ahve pictures because she tears it down far before that becomes an option, but I drew it out; http://imgur.com/08IDtJU
It's in the corner of a basement, with concrete floor and brick walls. My only materials, like I said, are the storage cubes and some heavy buckets along with twist ties to keep from it falling over.

The crate is about the size you have your Flemish in. Maybe a touch smaller. I'm trying to attach more so she has more room, but that's the thing causing the problem, lol.

You're doing your best. :group2: it sounds like a huge challange that most would just give up on, but you are persisting, you will stumble upon the solution hopefully soon. :bunny19

Wait a minute. You said you are using the plastic connectors that come with the grids???
No wonder! That's the problem! ANY of my rabbits would break apart a cage put together with those stupid connectors.

Now I see that it may not be your rabbit. As I said before, if you build the cage with the thick zip ties, there's no way your rabbit will take that thing apart. Heck, I could barely take such a cage apart when I had to. The connectors are utterly useless. Let me see if I can find a close up photo of one of my old NIC cages that may show how it's connected....

I too keep my buns in a dog crate and find that works well for me. Glad to hear she can't get out of that at least.
I'm also glad to hear she's on a cement floor, at least that's something she can't destroy.

I do think an exercise pen (the kind made for dogs) might work well for you. You can just clip each side onto her dog crate and that would give her more space. If she's that good of a jumper, you might need to figure out a way to put a top on her pen. For some bunnies just the visual barrier of a blanket can be enough but you can also try something like a big piece of cardboard, coroplast, etc or even those wire storage cubes zip tied together.
Giving her more space and/or more things to do might help. Try offering her things that it's okay for her to destroy (e.g. phone books, toilet paper or paper towel tubes stuffed with hay, cardboard boxes, grass mats, etc.) so she can get some of her energy out working on that. My rabbits, for example, get all their pellets either as rewards for doing things I want them to do (coming to me, going back into their cage, etc.) or in some sort of enrichment like in a cardboard box or a cat treat ball. That keeps them working not only physically but also mentally.

It seems like most of the discussion in the thread has gone towards how to keep her contained, but you initially also mentioned bonding her to your other rabbit. How long has it been since she's been spayed and what (if any) progress have you made in bonding them?

Wait a minute. You said you are using the plastic connectors that come with the grids???
No wonder! That's the problem! ANY of my rabbits would break apart a cage put together with those stupid connectors.

Now I see that it may not be your rabbit. As I said before, if you build the cage with the thick zip ties, there's no way your rabbit will take that thing apart. Heck, I could barely take such a cage apart when I had to. The connectors are utterly useless. Let me see if I can find a close up photo of one of my old NIC cages that may show how it's connected....

:yeahthat:Now that makes sense! Use the heavy duty Zip ties and bunny will be contained. Those thingies that come with the grids fall off even when I'm just using them to store shoes and books!!

I also agree that the round connectors that come with the nic cubes do not work. Certainly not for containing a bun and especially one that is full of energy like yours. Zip ties should work as long as you pull them as tight as you can get them. If they are loose a chewer/destructive bun will have no problem chewing through them.

I don't know how many cubes you have to work with. My crazy girls sound a lot like yours. They are in an extra large dog cage. To give them extra room I do have an X pen that is 48" tall. I bought it brand new for no more than $70 off of ebay and that included shipping. The girls can move it even though it's pretty darn heavy. I bought 12 shower curtain hooks from wal mart for less than $3. I use some of these on each end to attach it to the cage so they cannot get out. It only takes a moment to unclip when I need to and they are metal so the buns can't chew through them.

If your bun is jumping that high or climbing as others have said you can try placing something on top such as cardboard.

I know how frustrating it can be when you have buns that are destructive and it seems as if they destroy everything you do. I never planned on having more than my male but there's no way I could let the girls just be set loose by my neighbor. They are extremely energetic, no amount of time out or space seems enough to wear them out or calm them down. They chew the carpet at every opportunity, dig and even spray at times. When the frustration is getting to you the most then the best thing I can say is sometimes you have to take a break from it. Make sure the cage is cleaned when it's needs, she has fresh water and her food but if to save your sanity you have to skip letting her out once now and again then that's what you should do until you have it figured out. It sure beats the alternative of her not having a home that cares about her, living outside running loose or many other such situations.

That condo is BRILLIANT! I'm definitely going to do that.

@missyscove As for bonding, she's only been neutered for a few weeks, but honestly, even a short session, she already stopped lunging at my other female, and it's now more my other female who is fearful than the bigger doe who is aggressive toward her. I had put them side by side in their cages after the big one's, Titan's, surgery, and at first they were both very snappy at each other, but calmed down quite a bit. I just haven't had the enclosure to REALLy work on bonding them, kind of thing.

EDIT: Also, I know I'm not responding to EVERYTHING, but I am really really thankful for the response!! You guys have been super helpful!

It is frustrating when they can escape from anything. I´ve got an xpen enclosure and even for my three, I had to put some covering over the top to stop them jumping over as they have hidey houses in there so use those as a springbox. I also had to put barriers in between the cages and at the far end also to stop jumping from one to the other. I actually used two of the xpen panels and zip tied them to the rest of the xpen and it´s quite solid. They haven´t managed to get out yet.

Sounds like things are improving! I hope they keep heading in a good direction.
I like getting into cage making mode. The NIC panels leave us so much room for awesome creations.

Latest posts

Back