Need fish help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you tried a water change yet?
pH is high, but fish can have a VERY hard time adjusting to it. the pet stores possibly use RO/DI water. you can add some peat to the filter, or even some driftwood to help soften the water a bit. avoid the powders/additives to lower pH.

dont be discouraged by one loss, or itll ruin the hobby for you, once you figure it all out you could have a nice tank going. instead of a dwarf gourami, try something a bit hardier. dwarf gouramis are a popular fish, so bred a lot, and they loose their ability to fight off disease and stress.

have you looked into a betta maybe? or some guppies? their small but colorful

Yeah I did a water change this morning, about 30% to 40%. Yeah those powders don't do much if anything. I'll look into finding some peat or drift wood. My ph is good for cichlids, but my tank is niether big enough and it's planted.

Oh it hasn't ruined it yet, considering I've had tanks off and on for about 10 years. I've just never had a fish that's died within a week, especially one that wasn't acting sick and died before I could help the bugger =/. It's a little annoying and I've had gouramis before that do good. Especially since all the good pet stores are closing. I really don't mind it being a danio only tank, since 10 gal isn't really all that big.

I've had lots bettas, I would have to decrease the flow for him and I'd worry about the danios getting a little nippy with them. They cute little guys and lots of attitude.

Yes bettas are very cool. I have two male bettas, they are in separate tanks. My doubletail is cycling my 10 gallon tank right now; and, my halfmoon is in a 2.5 gallon I believe, hey he loves it.

fuzz16: it is called a fish cycle and no it is not cruel to do a fish cycle. It actually is faster to do a fish cycle than a fishless cycle. Besides bettas are very hardy fish and can withstand just about anything.

Hmmmm Thanks Marsha. Did he mention any sort of medication I should use?

That does sound familiar. I think I saw that on the anti-parasite food I got.

Oh I had meant for this tank to have a betta in it once it was cycled. But never got to it. And all the bettas I saw didn't look too good. =/

I'm actually going to check out a couple of fish stores tomorrow and weds and see if they are better than Petsmart/Petco.

My god was he hard to photograph haha. Anyway I hope these help. They still aren't great.

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Ooooh and if anyone has any idea on what type of danio he is let me know. I haven't found them any where else but they sure are pretty.

Ok I posted on fish forums. Someone should respond. As soon as they do I will let you know.

Remember bettas are hardy fish, they are not sensitive at all. They are not like angelfish, clown loaches, who are sensitive fish.

Once my 10 gallon is cycled I will be putting other fish in it. I have been looking at fish that stay small and are going to be really cool to watch.

fuzz16 wrote:
You never said how you acclimated the fish.
Also, the danios could have stressed gourami to death.

Could be for many reasons it died, but mostly the cause was stress of shipment the store. Less likely your fault if your tank is within conditions

^This.

Gouramis die very easily. They are slow moving fish (unless startled in which they can move fast but this is bad if you see this a lot) where as danios never stop moving and can be aggressive feeders. While they may not have gone after the Gourami, just their activity can stress a Gourami that had been poorly taken care of (by the store) out badly. They are also air breathers...was the top of the tank well ventilated? While the 8.2 pH is higher, Gouramis can do fine in it if acclimated properly...however, a pH change of as little as .2 can send some fish into shock hence the importance of the acclimation. However, if your store was local, the pH was likely the same as big box stores rarely treat their water with anything but the basic dechlorinator. Most likely this was the big box store's fault as Gouramis are VERY easily stressed to death. They take awful care of their fish in both the shipping process and the care process, and they use community filters that leads to the spread of the disease. The astronomical amount of stress they place on these fish in itself can send them into terminal shock. If not, it frys their immune system leaving them vulnerable to disease. Casualty rates for Gouramis are around 50% even before they make it to the owner. The ones which do make it to owners are in rough shape from the start and many are very, very sick. I would personally only buy fish from a trusted and reputable local store, especially the more fragile fish. They are more humane, they know more, they take pride in their livestock, they stand behind their product, and they can give you useful advice, such as what their water stats are. When buying new fish, ALWAYS ask for water parameters on their own water. Then you already know the pH difference and can plan accordingly in how to match it (I kept my pH at 6.8 with Gouramis when I had them). Furthermore, if they test it in front of you and get high ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate readings, or a pH which is wayyyy off for that fish, don't buy it as it is likely stressed. If the parameters look good, then the fish is likely a better, healthier one to buy.

As far as the danios seeming to have contracted a disease, this is where the importance of a quarantine tank comes into play. That Gourami had been exposed to literally thousands of other fish, as big box stores and factory farms use community water, which means one massive filter can power 20, 100, or more tanks all packed to the brim with fish. If just one was sick, the Gourami could have contracted it. Given they are known to eat dead fish, this increases this chance. If you put a fish that is possibly sick in your main tank, then you could risk wiping out your entire tank in as little as a few days. You don't know how healthy the fish is by just looking at it so you need to quarantine it for a week or so to observe it and be sure it does not die or get sick. Don't let the water, nets, decorations, or anything else mix between the two tanks. Assume any new fish is potentially diseased and handle it accordingly. Also, by isolating the fish in its own tank, you have immediately reduced its stress by not having it actively compete with other fish for food and territory. Therefore, if the fish is stressed or sick, you boost its recovery in itself.

As for the parasite medication for the danios, they are about the hardiest fish on the planet. Levamisole will work fine (although note that I do NOT recommend using it for ALL fish). The cheapest thing it can be found in is Jungle Anti Parasitic Medicated Fish Food, which is pretty good stuff for the price. Garlic can also exert some antiparasitic action and stimulate appetite, although I doubt appetite will be a problem given they are danios.

Finally, do not overlook the importance of trace elements in food. Fish are not that different from people in the respect that we both need certain (but different) vitamins and minerals to thrive. Without them, we are at greater risk to injury and disease, and our life span can even be shortened. High quality foods, such as New Life Spectrum or Hikari (among others) contain the elements fish need to thrive where as many lesser foods simply do not (many cheap foods have the main ingredient of a corn or flour based product). A high quality food in itself can help reduce stress and certainly boosts the immune system, helping to prevent diseases outright. Again, this is why big box stores should be avoided, as they often use cheap quality flakes instead of high quality pellets (flakes are bad because fish often go to the top and 'gulp' in air which can screw up the swim bladder).

Thank you Zac. The store is a local one. I live about 5 minutes away from it. However I am looking for a good little fish store, since my favorite went out of business. Hmmm well ventilated? I dunno, maybe.

Yeah a quarantine tank would have been best but I live in an apartment, so there is a limit on the number of gallons of water I can have. Hense why I have a 10 gallon, even tho I would love a bigger tank. I could possible do a 5 gallon quarantine tank, if that's not too small.

I did get some of that Jungle Anti Paracitic food, which they gobbled up. I had to crush it up since they have small mouths. One was even carrying a larger chunk around in its mouth like a dog haha. Appetite is definately not a problem. I did have a little giggle about the warning on the food.

I'll look into those brands when I get them more food, they are running low. I know Hikari, good stuff. I also feed them mysis shrimp once in a while.

Back