Need dosage for pen g procaine ASAP. Buns might not live through night.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
20180331_232543.jpg20180331_232620.jpg20180331_232647.jpg

Does anyone know the amount of penicillin g procaine to give him? He's 5 lbs. It's the durvet brand for cattle. Just the pen g w procaine, not the combo one, like I thought it was (husband bought it and got wrong one). It's 300,000 iu per lb. He got a 22 Gage needle and I'm also worried that's too big, but I'm fairly certain he's not going to make it through the night and I'm ready to try giving him some. I was scared to do so bc I don't know what I'm doing. All I know is he is dying and I need to help him, so I have to try this. I have researched a ton And was planning on giving him .2cc. Does this sound right? I hope someone responds to this in time. I am really really scared right now. I am adding pics of the instructions and of what product I bought. I think .2 cc is right, but want to make sure.

I doubt an antibiotic will fix the no output problem.
If nothing is coming out then he either has a blockage or is not getting enough input.
Did the vet perscribe any gut mobility drugs?
How often are you syringe feeding and with what?

He's not on anything for mobility. Vet is closed until Monday. We have been syringe feeding him pellet/water mixture about 4 times today in small amounts. I think he should be getting enough intake to have at least a little bit of something coming out. I have been rubbing his belly alot (which normally he bolts when I get anywhere near his belly). I think it's because he's too weak to run off. I'm just afraid of killing him with the pen g. Do you think that could be a possibility or should I give it to him? He is in bad bad shape.

I want to give him the antibiotic bc he has a severe infection and he can't stand up without falling over. He can't find his away around the room and is getting less active by the hour. Not moving or eating at all. The infection is spreading fast. I think it's either in the brain or the bloodstream.

First, don't panic. As long as the falling over seems to be due to loss of balance and not weakness, then it is probably the vestibular disease symptoms that I explained previously from the middle ear infection. So the infection would be in the ear, not the brain. If he seems disoriented, that is because it makes them feel dizzy.

I would confine him to a small area, even to the extent of putting towel rolls alongside him to help prop him up if needed. Giving a disoriented bun too much space just makes it difficult for them.

Then you need to be regularly syringe feeding him 3-5cc per lb if you can get him to take it. You will also either need to make it a soupy enough mixture that he is getting the needed fluids or syringe extra water. I had presumed the vet would have sold you critical care mix, but I guess not, so just make due with the pellet mush.

He's likely not peeing and pooping because he's just not getting enough coming in. It's possible he's also dehydrated. I would suggest getting some plain pedialyte if you can, and syringe some of this into him first, before syringe feeding next. If you can get it right away. If he's dehydrated the electrolytes will really help.

Even with the infection, giving pen g isn't going to have any immediate affect, so you have time to consider what you want to do there. Right now, food and hydration are the most important. If you have extra doses of metacam to last til monday, I would consider giving another dose if he hasn't already had one tonight.

He didn't make it. We won't up this morning to him laying on just side. Unable to move and making some heartbreaking noises. We rushed him to the emergency vet and the 3 vets consulted and said we needed to put him down. He was suffering and any treatment would more than likely not work anyway at this point. They think the infection spread to his brain. He couldn't move and the vet said he didn't think he could see either. I couldn't be the one in the room with him when it happened, although I wish I was the type of person that could do that sort of thing. He was my world and I feel guilty I wasny there with him in his last moments, but I couldn't watch him die. My husband was with him though and said his body went from tense, to relaxed. The only thing giving me any comfort is that he's not in pain anymore. I feel like I could have done more, or spoke up to the vet when I knew he wasn't treating it aggressively enough.

We are going to be picking his ashes up this week. Thank you so much for all the help and advice you guys offered. I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back