need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyBun

Reaction score
Hi,

I think my rabbit Toby has had another stroke last night and is not really able to use his back legs. Before I make the decision to have him put to sleep I would like to see what my options are and what I can do. When I got up this morning he looked twisted, with his back legs leaning to one side and his front to the other. At first I thought he had broken his back because of how he was pulling himself around the floor. He seemed ok when I put him back to his feet again but did loose balance on his back legs a couple of times but generally seemed ok in himself. I know his lost strength in his back legs but not sure what to do about it. keep in mind he is 16. He has been like this for a little while but his getting worse gradually. Seems fine in himself but showing signs of no energy in his rear.

I will take him to the vets but they will probably just want to put him to sleep due to his age. If that’s the only option then I am ok with that, but I just wanted to double check what my options where before I did.

Thanks

Oh poor little guy. I'm no vet, but I think that as long as he's not in pain or suffering, I don't see why you need to put him to sleep. Mabey you could make him one of those things like wheel chairs for rabbits, where they have a harness thing that attches to their rear end. I those they walk by pulling them selves with their front legs. I've seen some dogs with these one.

Hmmmmm..... I'm not really much help here, mabey someone else with ideas will come along.

Hope he's fine,

-TK :pray:

I have thought about one of those. I know you can get them for rabbits but not sure where from or how much.

You have to ask yourself- what is the quality of his life? What kind of life is it to not be able to ever move? Can he really enjoy life? Can he really be a rabbit?

You said that he is sixteen years old- that's an extrodinary lifespan for a rabbit. The oldest I've ever seen was twelve, but I've heard of thirteen as well.

I'll also give you my experience with the butt-carts in rabbits. They usually don't work. I can think of one where it almost worked out. But rabbits don't like to be restrained. You could try it, but it would probably be to no avail.

I guess we have to go back to my original point- what is the quality of his life? Is it worth extending it if there is none? Are there more unhappy times than happy?

If it were my rabbit and the situation presented would be exactly as is, I would put it down. I don't know the full extent of the situation and I can't tell you what you should do with your bunnies. But just remember- quality of life. Maybe he will be happy that you're caring so much for him, giving him so much attention- but will he be happy otherwise. That is the hard part to determine, but it needs to be determined.

And I hope I don't get ripped apart for giving this opinion.

More pain than pleasure is my motto. Pain can also be as you say, Ivory, not having a good rabbit quality of life.

If the rabbit is truly 16 - it's probably the best thing for it to have it put down. That's a hard and sad decision to make - been there, done that, and if I didn't love my pets so much I wouldn't have them because I hate going to that part of it all.

Latest posts

Back