Need Advice - Possible Addition?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
*Sigh*

I was so set on not getting another bunny. Of course, something had to come up to make me doubt my decision.

Here goes...

If you've been reading my blog, you will know that our neighbor has two boy bunnies. Well, one is Bobbie, a sweetie. The other, I don't know his name, but he's more dominant and would kill Bobbie if allowed.

Two days ago, our neighbors let me know that they would like to get rid of him and only keep Bobbie. They had been misinformed when they got the boys and were told they could easily keep them together with them being boys and brothersetc etc. and well before they knew it, they were spending 250+ euros to save lil Bobbie after they fought. This left them quite bitter.

Unfortunately, despite 'knowing' that this was natural behavior, they still blame the bunny for hurting Bobbie. They've basically lost a lot of interest in him.

Now, Maybelle has shown A LOT of interest in both boys. I thought she mainly was interested in Bobbie but I watched and noticed that she does like both boys. She isn't spayed yet so I have no doubt that this plays a role in her interest. They lie side by side, share food, chase each other along the fence, groom through the fence,etc. Really, I've never seen her so eager to pay attention to any other living being. She even tries to push her toys through the fence to give to the bunnies on the other side.

Now, another thing. Maybelle tried to kill Rolo a while back. I mean she was out to really hurt her and they are normally aggressive to each other through fences/hutches etc. Well, I've been putting May in a hutch so that Rolo could come out in the yard and play. I wanted to see if Rolo had an interest in the boy so that I might have 2 chances at a pair rather than one.

The thing is, Rolo squeezed herself between the hutch and the fence so Maybelle was on one side and the boy on the other. Both were grooming Rolo through the hutch and fence. No agression whatsoever from anyone. :?Why? Why is Maybelle more calm with Rolo when a boy is around? :confused2:

Anyway, all this to say...

Would I be crazy for trying to bond this boy with either: one of the girls, or maybe even both of the girls?

We are getting the yard redone so everything will be changed completely. I was thinking, maybe we could get the girls spayed while the yard is being done. After that, perhaps with everything in the yard being different, it would be more "neutral" territory than Maybelle's turf... (We were planning on getting the girls spayed soon anyway)

My only issue is my allergies. I don't really want to add on bunnies because I don't want to risk things. HOWEVER, if the boy could bond with Maybelle, or if he could bond with both girls, they could play in the garden together like Maybelle does now and that wouldn't really be an issue in terms of my allergies. That's my biggest concern really.

On the other hand, he may not bond with anyone and then he'd need to find a home with someone else. However, poor lil guy is not very loved right now and really wants to play with the girls. I feel a bit compelled to give him a chance.

Because he is next door, I could perhaps work at bonding him with the girls. If it works, then I can take him, and if it doesn't well then the neighbors will have to rehome him elsewhere.

Am I crazy for considering it?

:lookaround

You never know until you try it. Getting rid of the hormones helps a lot. The girls themselves may get along better once they are spayed and there is a good chance the male will be accepted by both of them. He may even keep his girls in line and not allow them to fight.

With rabbits you never know. :)

I say go for it.

My Maybelle may end up with a husbun and a sister/girlfriend.:biggrin:

Geez they will need more Blankies & Pillows.

Susan:)

I'd say go for it too. When I first started trying to bond Lulu she was a real terror. The first shelter I went to wouldnt allow me to even take a rabbit on trail she was so bad. I went to a different shelter and she was still pretty bad, but I took a boy rabbit anyway to give it a shot.

It took about three weeks of very very carefully monitored interactions, but they are the best of friends now. I think most rabbits can be bonded with enough effort. Not ALL, but the majority.

Hehe thanks guys. Still thinking about it. I think I may discuss it with them on Thursday. I'd only take him if he bonds with Maybelle or both girls I think. :)

*Looks at Susan*

You did this. I see now. You sent two girl shirts and one boy shirt. You knew! :shock:Hehehehe. ;)

Back