Need advice! Bunny not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liarakon

Reaction score
Morning all!
My doe has been off her food since Saturday night. Lethargic but still alert. It's still early today but yesterday she was out of the hutch but still lying around in certain spots of the sitting room. Certainly not her usual inquisitive self.
If it were GI stasis I'd get her straight to the vets, but it's not that bad so I'm not sure what to do. Her bottom feels fine, no drooling, not too cold, walking fine, but there is a harder area of her tummy on 1 side. She had a couple of bits of pineapple-juice soaked banana and has been drinking from the bottle, but what she did eat she ate reluctantly.
Saturday morning I came down to find that she had been on the coffee table again and knocked over a cup of tea, but that is the only clue I have.

So any advice? Vets? Syringe feed her pineapple juice? Syringe feed her some critical care powder food? Having missed 3 meals she is getting a bit too skinny for my liking :(

Yes definitely try and give her the critical care. I wouldn't give sugary things though as this will upset the gut flora even more. Critical care, water and leafy greens are good, keep her warm if she feels cool. Something for pain if she is hunched over and grinding her teeth, as directed by a good vet. I also try to pester my rabbits with hay, hand feeding if necessary. Good luck, hope she snaps out of it soon!

Get her to the vet. If recent food changes are ruled out as a cause for being picky about food, lack of appetite can be caused by anything that causes a rabbit pain or discomfort. She could have a dental problem that is making it difficult for her to eat, or it could be an underlying health issue.

I would bring her to the vet also. It could be something serious, and it's better safe than sorry to rule things out. If it's not stasis, bloat, dental etc then at least they can give you an idea on how to get her eating again or give her an appetite stimulant.
Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be stasis or dental for her to not be eating... If there is pain elsewhere she may be refusing food because of that. However the extended period of no food could lead to stasis so always best to get it checked for any issues.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back