Need Advice ASAP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalballl

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm not sure if you've read my Topic "Holly GEt's Spayed Apr.12". A lot of it is in there, but I thought I'd bring you up to speed if you hadn't read that post!

Holly was booked to be spayed this morning. I paid for the pre-op blood work, and something came up. They said that her BUN level was a little high which may have a complication with the anesthetic. So she stayed there for the day so they could retrieve a urine sample. She didn't go while there, so they gave me this weird litter stuff to use to obtain one at home.They want the urine to be as "fresh" as possible when I bring it in(which will have to be tomorrow, as they're closed now)

I've never had any problems with either of my buns, so I don't know how to go about doing this. At the moment fromthe stress today Holly hasn't pee'd at all. So should I put that litter in over night while she's in her cage and hopefully goes. Or put it in, in the morning and leave her in her cage until she goes?I want to get this urinalysis ASAP so we can go about seeing what it is and if we can book the surgery soon!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!!!!

Crystal

Hi Crystalball! I just came across your post and was wondering if you still needed help? Did youget the urine collected for the test?

If I am right the litter they gave you is a dark colour? It doesn't absorb urine, the urine collects under it, and you dump it out. My concern is I thought it was made of some kind of rubber product?:? If I am thinking of the same stuff they gave my dad for his cat when they couldn't get a sample. I'd be wondering if it was safe for bunn. I guess you could cover it so she couldn't get to it.

On that note I would leave it in overnight and collect whatever was there in the morning. You can't count on your bunn going when you need her to.;) We collected what we could and refrigerated it until we could get it to the vet!

Hmm... I wonder how 'fresh' is fresh.... Are you at home all day tomorrow? If you are, I would leave the litter out till tomorrow and as soon as she goes, scoop it up and take itin. If you're not going to be around to watch her all day tomorrow - I think leaving her with it overnight and just grabbing it to go in the morning should be ok.

Too bad the vet didn't give a better estimation when they said "fresh".....

Maybe just hold off and call them tomorrow to ask how fresh is fresh...

_________
Nadia

Well what I did was got up at 5:30 and emptied her litter box and then put this weird stuff in. Yes Rune,you are describing what I've got.

When I spoke to the vet before I left with her yesterday, she said fresh is best. I could've got a urine sample last nite (which I should have, cuz she pee'd) and used that. But I'm going to leave her in her cage until she goes. Then I'll take it up.

If I remember I will ask the vet about expressing the bladder. I feel like I haven't slept yet, so I'm not totally with it today.

Thanks guys!

I was reading up last night and the book says that fresh is best...but urine can be refrigerated up to 8 hours and still be viable. Poor bunny is putting you through the hoops!LOL I hope she cooperates!:)

Yayy We Got Pee!!!! Hehehehehe

Hope I got enough, I did the best I could. Going up to the vet right now to drop it off. Not sure if they're going to do the test while I am still there or not. Let everyone know when I'm back :)

Hahahaha No kidding eh?!

Well I'm at home now waiting for them to call with the urinalysis. Should be sometime this afternoon. I'll keep everyone updated. I hope she's okay :(

i've analysed urine before.. it is strangely fun coz each sample has different results and it is often a key to diagnosing something so you feel like you are cracking the case lol :D

Good luck with the result :) Hope the BUN level doesnt signify anything nasty.

Latest posts

Back