Neat Idea Cubes....TIPS?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britny

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited, today I left work and got my bunny two packs of Neat Idea cubes. I researched the different kinds and prices, I found a six pack at target for 24.99 (what a deal)!! And they got good reviews for being strong and sturdy!

So I was wondering what should I keep in mind when assembling Melton's perfect home?

I did get zip ties and a plastic mat you use for computer desk chairs ( nice and thick and will be easy to clean).

I will try to post pics when it is all done! And more of my bunny!
:jumpforjoy: so excited lol

Do you think he could jump the height of the cube?

The height of one cube? Probably. When I had an NIC cage it was 2 grids high with a partial second level and I gave them a step half a grid up but they could definitely jump up to the second level without the step.

If you are concerned that your bun cannot jump that high you could use a box and turn it upside down and place on the floor but next to the next level so your bun could use that as a step.

A couple of tips when putting your cage together, especially for the first time...

1. Don't use too many zip ties at first...if you decide you don't like the direction the project is headed, it will be a lot less work to clip a few ties (and will save you money in wasted ties). Once you've got everything like you want it, you can firm up the structure with additional ties.

2. This isn't a permanent structure, so if you don't like something, start over. Take your time, it doesn't have to be finished today. You'll be happier with it if you think about the project as it comes together.

3. Get a pair of pincer or cutter pliers for cutting the zip ties. It makes a much neat cut close to the base of the zip tie so your buns won't risk getting cut or injured on uneven zip ties. They will also save a lot of pressure/aches to your hands!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253669-16878-50513_0__?Ntt=253669&UserSearch=253669&productId=1239043&rpp=32

Good luck!

Dowels for supports on levels, corners and under the ceiling. You can get dowels in Home Depot or Lowes and have them cut to size or cut them yourself in their saw wood section. Kept the cage stable for me. Also, some coroplast or cardboard trims on the bottom sides of the cage to make sure debris don't fly out, or use the plastic mat to climbt he sides a little, either way.

You'll want to check your pack of grids to make sure it doesn't have any of the large holed grids. I've read before that the target ones might.

Thanks for all the reply's I have been working on this cage since Friday and just finished it today! I learned some of what you guys said the hard way ! TARGET'S GRIDS do come with wide ones! Thankfully I made a pen to put my bunny in before I actually started construction so I learned very quickly that he could get out the wide grid!
My brother helped me and we did not use any zip ties till we felt everything was right. I wish I had knew about the cutters we used a finger nail clipper which did the job easily but I will admit I lacked supplies which is also why it took 2 1/2 days to complete!
I attempted to attach some pictures but I'm not sure how that works so I will look into it and upload them a little later today :) Thanks for all the help!

I made a album named Melton under the NIC album. I could not upload the photos of how it looks with all his toys and accessories in it, it says they are too big !

You should be able to resize them on your computer. Or when posting, under additional options, click on manage attachments, then click on browse to look in the files on your computer. Click on the picture and open it, then when all done selecting pictures, click on upload. Then pictures will be included in your post when you submit your reply.

Ok going to see if this works :)

-Melton really loves his new cage :)

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back