Nasal Discharge and Motion Sickness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I forgot to mention is that bun in stasis will often chew on objects that they don't normally chew on ( sort of as a desire to have fiber but cannot eat at the moment)
This may be why Little Bunny is chewing on different objects that usually don't interest her,,,,,,,,,,

Angieluv, I agree that I think there maybe more going on then a reaction to Zithromax. I plan on asking for blood work and an x-ray. Is there any other test that I should ask for? Thanks for letting me know it is normal for stasis buns to chew on weird things. That was really throwing me for a loop. I did move it out of her cage and put more hay in that spot. If she wants to chew, I want it to be on food.

Ali, Do you give your buns Dremamine nondrowsy that is used for humans? Do you mind telling me what your bun does that helped you make this diagnosis? I am just trying to figure out if this is motion sickness or something else. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Thank you guys for all your help. You are really helping me have the strength to keep fighting for Little Bunny.

Amy27 wrote:
Ali, Do you give your buns Dremamine nondrowsy that is used for humans? Do you mind telling me what your bun does that helped you make this diagnosis? I am just trying to figure out if this is motion sickness or something else. Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Yes it is that one. In the buns I have treated for it I know they have head-tilt and had the dosing from the vet and pharmacist so I knew what to give. Just saves me and the rescue alittle money. I would talk to the vet about before trying it. Honestly doesn't harm the bunny so if the vet is ok it wouldn't hurt to try it and see if this is going on.

I would ask for a deep ear culture. Just in case something else isn't going on.

Pasteurella and Bordatella I forgot about this. Not a big thread but alittleinfo.

Thanks Ali, I will talk to my vet about it. I also appreciate the suggestion of a deep ear culture. I will definatly ask for that to be done.

I just went to the bathroom and walked by Little Bunny and noticed something dark on the floor nest to her. I had the light out so I couldn't see what it was. I turned the light on and it was a hay cube. She brought a hay cube out of her room and was eating it!!! I am so excited. She didn't eat that much but the fact that she did it on her own, I am so excited.

I think right now you just have to pull through until the vet is back. C'mon Little Bunny, eat that hay! I'll be thinking of you guys. How frustrating and scary.

Amy27 wrote:
Thanks Ali, I will talk to my vet about it. I also appreciate the suggestion of a deep ear culture. I will definatly ask for that to be done.

I just went to the bathroom and walked by Little Bunny and noticed something dark on the floor nest to her. I had the light out so I couldn't see what it was. I turned the light on and it was a hay cube. She brought a hay cube out of her room and was eating it!!! I am so excited. She didn't eat that much but the fact that she did it on her own, I am so excited.
Very good news :D
dragged out a hay cube ......

angieluv wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention is that bun in stasis will often chew on objects that they don't normally chew on ( sort of as a desire to have fiber but cannot eat at the moment)

Very true. Both times Nick went through stasis, he would be frantic to eat cardboard and linoleum off the cage floor. When he is feeling well, he will shred cardboard but not eat it, and he never eats linoleum. But when he was sick, it was all I could do to keep him from eating these things. It was very frustrating.

When he was on the Zithromax, he barely ate anything for the entire 5 days he was getting a daily dose, then ate a tiny bit the second every-other-day stretch. His eating was not normal until a few days after the Zithromax stopped. He did lose a bit of weight, but has put most of it back on now.

BethM wrote:
angieluv wrote:

Very true. Both times Nick went through stasis, he would be frantic to eat cardboard and linoleum off the cage floor. When he is feeling well, he will shred cardboard but not eat it, and he never eats linoleum. But when he was sick, it was all I could do to keep him from eating these things. It was very frustrating.

When he was on the Zithromax, he barely ate anything for the entire 5 days he was getting a daily dose, then ate a tiny bit the second every-other-day stretch. His eating was not normal until a few days after the Zithromax stopped. He did lose a bit of weight, but has put most of it back on now.
Beth
Did Nick get loose poops from zithromax ? I can' remember.? I am wondering if a lower dosage would have worked better with Little Bunny

I decided since she was eating the hay I would go get her dinner (veggies)soaking in the sink to see if she would eat that. I come downstairs and she is eating one of the treats that has been in her cage for days. I just sat on the floor and cried as I listened to her eat that treat for several minutes. I am so happy. I thought for sure I would lose her Monday night. I hope this is the turning point. I haven't seen her eat this much in days.

angieluv wrote:
Beth
Did Nick get loose poops from zithromax ? I can' remember.? I am wondering if a lower dosage would have worked better with Little Bunny
Nick did not get loose poops. His poops got really really tiny, and more dry than normal. They were also more tear-drop shaped than the normal marble. They were maybe 1/8" around, and smaller, barely anything. I thought of his poops when Amy said Little Bunny's poops were very tiny.
I was advised by someone in my rescue that she usually uses a lower dose for her rabbits, she said the "cat dose," and has less of a problem with appetite loss. She did say that she usually has to re-treat at this level, so there is a trade-off.

I am not an expert, but maybe the lower dose would be better for a bunny that might have other issues, or is on a drug combination that would contribute to the appetite loss?

BethM wrote:
angieluv wrote:
Beth
Nick did not get loose poops. His poops got really really tiny, and more dry than normal. They were also more tear-drop shaped than the normal marble. They were maybe 1/8" around, and smaller, barely anything. I thought of his poops when Amy said Little Bunny's poops were very tiny.
I was advised by someone in my rescue that she usually uses a lower dose for her rabbits, she said the "cat dose," and has less of a problem with appetite loss. She did say that she usually has to re-treat at this level, so there is a trade-off.

I am not an expert, but maybe the lower dose would be better for a bunny that might have other issues, or is on a drug combination that would contribute to the appetite loss?
very interesting; never heard this before
very very interesting \

maybe get this woman to elaborate on this a bit more .....

Thanks Beth

Maureen

angieluv wrote:
BethM wrote:
angieluv wrote:
Beth

very interesting; never heard this before
very very interesting

maybe get this woman to elaborate on this a bit more .....

Thanks Beth

Maureen
Maureen,
I recall her saying that the dose for cats is quite a bit lower than that for rabbits. I *think* I remember her saying it would be half? I don't know the weight calculations for Zithromax, but there are different dosing guidelines for cats vs. rabbits.
Nick (4.5lbs) was getting a dose of 1ml, I think. I was told that this was the higher "rabbit" dose.

She did say that when using the lower dose, she will have to either treat longer, or she will have to re-treat, as the lower dose won't totally clear things up. However. She said she rarely has appetite-loss at this level. Maybe good also for bunnies that might not be able to deal with much weight loss?

Our rescue meets this weekend, I will try to remember to ask for more specifics when I see her.

Little Bunny didn't eat any of her veggies last night. So when I called the vet tech to give an update, she called the vet who wants to put her on the Cisapride. I don't want to give that to her.

This is slightly off topic, sort of.

Now, this question is based on my very limited experience of meds. If the dose is reduced of the Zithi, to the cat dose and Little Bunny (or any bunny) could tolerate that, could the dose really gradually be increased to the maximum dose that the rabbit could tolerate without blasting out its system?

I know that theory can apply with some human meds but I'm not sure whether that can apply to an anti-biotic. Just thought I might throw that out there though.

I really don't know but i am going to make a new topic re, the children's version of this drug to see if the people who have used it successfully have been using something else other than the large amounts of syrupy liquid in it.

Angieluv, she ate some of that hay cube and a the treat. But then ate no veggies that I gave her for dinner. I just don't want her to be in pain from it.

Flashy that is a good question about starting the dose low and then gradually increasing it.

Latest posts

Back