nails????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perez28

Reaction score
my bunny is a good boy but as most he doesnt like being held or restrained (neither would i) how can i be sure to cut his nails safely

Here's a video showing a vet tech cutting Skyler's nails. Although Skyler appears calm in the video, that's a lie. He's not calm, at all.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare#p/u/4/cyyxQRoAhcw[/ame]

I just clipped my little guy's nails today. But it's a two person job. My fiance hold his back to his chest in a vertical "burrito" position. He's usually calm enough that I can get them all done at once, but when his one paw gets twitchie we give him a break and go back to clipping a few minutes later.

I don't cut the nail as low as I know I could because I don't want to accidentally hurt him, so this means I clip his nails a little more often.

If you can only get a nail or two at a time, that's fine too. You will just need to go back a few times.

When I adopted Eli from the shelter, the volunteer who seemed to have had a lot of experience with rabbits said the best way was to cradle them like a baby. Mind you, if you can't seem to hold your bunny without getting kicked unconscious, you may want to get that down before clipping those nails. She said the trick is confidence and cradling them firmly. I have yet to master that on Bubbles. She is nuts. If you are afraid of hurting your bunny, there may be a local groomer that is willing to clip their nails for fairly cheap - I saw some as cheap as $10 for nail clipping. Just ask if they groom rabbits. Since clippings are only every 2 months (that's what the shelter told me), it is not too expensive. :p

I like bunny burritos! Look it up in Google. Really helped when I was starting out and my guys were not good with being held for nail cutting. I think I also cut off far to little, but I am worried about hurting my guys too. Hard enough to get them to be tolerant of nail cutting without me causing them undue pain.

I used to take mine to the vet. Haha. I have started doing it myself and find that different rabbits like different techniques, so try a couple. Hannah will not be held, so putting her on a counter and wrapping her up in the blanket while one person holds her in place works. Otto just kicks if his feet are touching anything, so I hold him under the chest and bum with his feet sticking out.

Clipping right above the quick is good - you definitely don't want to nick it and make it bleed. Typically the quick will recede over time if you keep the nails short. When they're allowed to grow very long, the quick grows as well so you won't be able to cut them super short. My bunnies are both regular furred lops, and I start thinking about cutting their nails when they poke out of the fur on their feet (usually about every 6 weeks)

I love to clip nails! I'm actually pretty obsessive about it. It's a lot easier with 2 people - one to hold the bunny and one to clip. Most times I am left on my own clipping. Generally, I hold the rabbit like a baby when clipping the rear nails and lay them in between my legs to do the front nails. Confidence is key! I think the bunny can sense if you are not confident.

you can't seem to hold your bunny without getting kicked unconscious...

That statement is SO true! have an agressive bun that was taking from a shelter months ago and his nails are LONG. think I can get the job done, but am catious.

even with the best bun, its not something they appreciate but, its realistically not the end of their world..

deep breadths... good luck!

especially if youre new to nail clipping, and your critter has black nails, just tape the tips off. Do this on a regular basis to keep the length down, and to get your bun used to having it done. As you get better with nail clipping, it doesnt matter what colour the nail is, you will learn how to clip right to the kwik without nicking anything :) But just start with tipping those dark nails.

I loved all of your tips. Thanks to the Bunny Burrito smudge got his front claws clipped for the first time. I am giving him a break before I try the back claws.

The problem I have is his nail are very white and clear and the fur around the nails are white making it hard to see.

LadyKat, for white nails with white fur, I find it helpful to hold the foot in one hand and push the fur back, while you snip with the other hand. This usually requires another person to hold the bunny though.

Our bunnies had to get used to being held during this procedure as it is so much easier if there are two doing the deed. Get the nail in place in the clipper--also a well lit room helps even with the darker nails--and put a slight amount of pressure on the nails. If you're too near the quick they'll usually jerk the nail away. If they don't go bonkers you're clear to clip. Usually!

That was a typo. Supposed to say taking the tip off, just the very sharp thinner part of the nail. Like a mm.

Latest posts

Back